Thursday, December 21, 2006

Miscellanea

This coffee falls into your stomach, and straightway there is a general commotion. Ideas begin to move like the battalions of the Grand Army of the battlefield, and the battle takes place. Things remembered arrive at full gallop, ensuing to the wind. The light cavalry of comparisons deliver a magnificent deploying charge, the artillery of logic hurry up with their train and ammunition, the shafts of with start up like sharpshooters. Similes arise, the paper is covered with ink; for the struggle commences and is concluded with torrents of black water, just as a battle with powder. ~ Honore de Balzac, "The Pleasures and Pains of Coffee"

See... I knew there was a reason I have a nice 32 oz cuppa sitting here at my desk.

Do you ever find yourself automatically correcting or improving writing that you see? I read a headline on a news page that read:

A major snowstorm was blowing across Colorado toward the Plains early today...

And my brain instantly changed it to:

A major snowstorm was blowing blew across Colorado toward the Plains early today...

Ugh, passive voice. For shame, for shame...

Ever submit a query for something, and then when it's requested, panic and think that's it's not ready?

I did.

The good news is that the editor told me that the office is shut down until after Christmas, so I have a few days to polish it up until it gleams.

Oh, well.... Yahoo Horoscopes just smacked me upside the head for that last comment I made, above. It says:

If you want a positive outcome in your latest endeavor, you have to be positive!

*hangs head*

It also says:

Make some contingency plans just in case. However, don't act on that plan B, or you could undermine the good fortune that just landed in your lap. Just have it drawn up and safely tucked away for use in the event that you need it later on.

The story I just had requested, though, wouldn't fit just anywhere. So my "contingency" would be to put it in a drawer. Of course, I'm thinking positive and am certain that it'll be accepted for publications.

But the drawer is ready. Just in case.

Your Elf Name Is...

Grumpy Ho-Ho-Ho


Who you callin' Grumpy? And a ho?

You Are an Angel

A truly giving soul, you understand the spirit of Christmas.


Geez... considering that I'm "Grumpy-ho-ho-ho", I find the whole "Angel" thing hard to believe.

2 comments:

Judy said...

You are too funny.... hey, wait, I feel a Christmas story coming on... a grumpy ho who becomes an angel... hmmmmm..... (wanders off, muttering to self)

Anonymous said...

My Yahoo 'scope is "Stop doing what you think others want you to do--you're going to extremes.

Choose to radiate serenity, even if everyone around you decides to cop an attitude. It'll take practice at first, but all this effort will pay off. You'll soar past old obstacles toward new successes."


Interesting! And my elf name is Flakey McFlurry. ROFL! Flakey, I fear, is all too accurate. *g* And I'm a bow. Okaaaay. "You don't think of it as the holiday season - you think of it as the present season!" Er... well, yes. *g*