Sunday, December 17, 2006

Got Prompts?

It is necessary to write, if the days are not to slip emptily by. How else, indeed, to clap the net over the butterfly of the moment? For the moment passes, it is forgotten; the mood is gone; life itself is gone. That is where the writer scores over his fellows: he catches the changes of his mind on the hop. ~ Vita Sackville-West

Yesterday I had trouble focusing on my writing. But I am involved with a group of people who are trying to keep accountable for writing or working on writing on a daily basis. We set our own goals and then post at a message board daily to say what we did or didn't do. As the competitive sort, I hate not reaching my goals, especially when it's because "I didn't feel like it".

That's an unacceptable excuse, IMHO.

So to get the juices flowing, I used a writing prompt. It worked, and I met my daily goal of 500 new words written on my WIP. Yay!

So, to celebrate, I thought I'd share with you some places to find prompts:

The Desk Drawer - I used an exercise from here yesterday.

Writers Digest - they post a new prompt every day, and you can access their archives.

Pumping Your Muse Prompts - a blog that posts a new prompt every day. She also has a book available by the same title.

Charlotte Dillon Writing Prompts - she has several posted on this site, but she also offers a Yahoo group with a new prompt weekly.

The Story Starter - a fun place to get yourself a line to inspire you.

WritingFix - they have a dozen or so prompt generators. This is one of my favorite sites.

Creative Writing Prompts - 203 prompts for fiction and poetry.

Anyone have any sites to add to this? I'd love to see them... in fact, I think I'll add this to my writing links page on my website.

And now, you have no excuse. Go forth and write!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out OnceWritten.com. They have lots of cool stuff.

anno said...

Great links - thanks so much!

Judy said...

Thanks for these, M. I was watching an old movie the other day about a writer and he happened to mention to another character that he "didn't feel like writing." She asked him, "What would my poor cow do if I didn't "feel" like milking her? Or how would the crops get picked if I didn't "feel" like picking them?" When he told her that was "different," she asked, "Why? Don't you make your living from writing? Isn't it your business?"
It made me think.....and if I'm going to be a "writer" then I need to write, whether I feel like it or not.... even if I'm not writing anything specifically to publish... at least right away.