Thursday, January 19, 2006

A Shove in the Right Direction

My poor husband came home from a really, really long day at work yesterday in a very down mood. He doesn't like his job, but works it because it allows me to stay home with our daughter and still eat occasionally.

He told me last night that I need to get published so he can quit. I told him that unless I wrote a run-away bestseller, my book wouldn't make enough for him to be out of work for more than a month or two. He promptly replied that I'd better write a bestseller then, because he was sick of working at his job.

He dreams of being a mechanic again. Deep down, he is a blue-collar guy, and really hates the white-collar world.

Still, it was kick in the pants for me to get busy again. Even if I won't earn an advance the size of "The Historian", I can contribute, and that would be a good thing. Poor hubby deserves to be happy.

Originally, I wanted to have at least one of my three novels ready to query by summer. I'm bumping that up. I want one ready to query by my DD's birthday in April. If I bust my butt, I should be able to make that. And, I have two other WIP's waiting in the wings. I'm also seeking paying short story markets and will be throwing my numerous shorts in that direction.

Found this quote this morning, and like it, so decided to share:

When defeat comes, accept it as a signal that your plans are not sound. Rebuild those plans and set sail once more toward your coveted goal. -- Napoleon Hill

No comments: