Sunday, December 04, 2005

Where Was Her Editor?

I started a book yesteday (finished it last night... and OMG, it had the cheesiest ending ever -- but that's a topic for another blog).

As I was reading along, obviously not drawn in to the story enough to shut of the editor in my head, I came across this:

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Well, he suppposed he couldn't blame her. "Well, I'd still like to thank you, anyway."

"Let's get you cleaned up," she said by way of acceptance.

Well, the appology didn't work.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Anyone else annoyed by that? C'mon, it stands out to you, too, right? It's not just me??

I was told once that beginning sentences with certain words is the mark of an amateur. Words like "well" and "so". Additionally, repeated words are a big no-no and will lose you points in any RWA contest.

So tell me this: how did this multi-published author slip this one by her editor?

In other news...

Would you buy a book with a contemporary setting and a heroine who is determined enough to please her father that she'd choose to marry a man who blatantly cheats on her? Or does this come across as unbelievable in today's society? *sigh*

No comments: