Saturday, December 31, 2005

Early Birds

I get up early each morning -- usually between 4 -4:30 a.m. I don't set an alarm clock, I don't drag my rear down the stairs for my coffee.

I am an early bird.

Two times this week I've mentioned this small fact to some aquaintances and received gasps of horror followed by, "Why?!?"

I explain. It's my time alone from everyone else. The world is quiet (including, most importantly, my daughter and my husband). I can sit and think without interruptions. It gets my day off to a peaceful beginning.

They didn't understand, and I'm pretty certain that they hung up the phone with me sure in the knowledge that I'm a complete loon.

My question is this: why is it so much weirder that I get up early, than the folks who stay up until 2 a.m.? When someone mentions that they don't go to bed until after midnight, and then sleep until 9 a.m., do you gasp in horror?

Think of all the quaint sayings out there, complimenting us early birds:

"Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise."

"The early bird gets the worm."

"It is well to be up before daybreak, for such habits contribute to health, wealth, and wisdom." -
Aristotle

I wrote my NaNo book -- 50,000+ words in 27 days -- before noon each day (with a few notable exceptions).

Mornings are good. Greet your day with a smile, not a groan.

4 comments:

MJFredrick said...

I'm an early bird, too. The latest I slept over my vacation was 8:30. You're right, no one gets it. I very very rarely sleep till the alarm.

MJFredrick said...

My mom and dad are the same, grandma and grandpa, too.

Charity Tahmaseb said...

Oh, me too. If I want to work out, I need to get up at four a.m. on the weekdays (it doesn’t happen after work, let me tell you). On the weekends, I always think sleeping in is a good idea (but by that, I mean six/six thirty), but I’m better off if I get up around five. My husband on the other hand, has such trouble getting out of bed in the morning, I really don’t know how he did it while in the Army.

I’m like you. I need/crave that alone time in the morning, when it’s still dark and quiet. Best time of the day.

Marianne Arkins said...

Glad to see I'm not so alone. I called up a neighbor the other day -- at 3 p.m. -- to ask if I could drop something by, and she said that she was just getting ready to jump in the shower and get out of her jammies.

At 3 p.m.

I'm almost ready for bed by then ... lol!