Wednesday, October 26, 2005

New Hampshire: Live, Freeze and Cry

The New Hampshire state motto is one of the coolest, IMHO:

Live Free or Die

Still, there is one thing greatly on my mind right now as I sit shivering in my basement.

I was born and raised in California. I like the sun. I like the warmth. I like that it only snowed in my hometown once every twenty years or so. Incidentally, I am not blond or tan, and I don't know (insert name of famous actor here).

Several years ago, it seemed like a wise thing to relocate to Colorado. That, in and of itself, wasn't probably a bad thing. But then, I met the man who would become my husband. A few years later, I got pregnant. It seemed like a good thing to raise our child amongst family, and since my family is spread all over the USofA, we opted to move to New Hampshire where his family has put down roots so deep, there ain't no movin' 'em. Ever.

What I didn't realize before I moved here is that the winter here is SIX FRIGGIN' MONTHS LONG. Yeah, yeah, there are four seasons.

Spring = May & June.
Summer=July & August
Fall = September & October
Winter= November through April.

It's COLD here. And wet. And soon it will be snowing. The snow STICKS here -- for months, and months, and months.

So, when I saw this bumper sticker the other day (after once again threatening my husband that I was moving away for the next six months to Arizona), I claimed it as my own:

New Hampshire: Live, Freeze and Cry.

Amen, Sister.

No comments: