Friday, October 07, 2005

Computers, a Necessary Evil

So, yesterday I popped downstairs and tried logging in to my computer. While it was still doing its thing in DOS, it popped up with this error message:

Smart Disk has detected imminent hard disk drive failure. Please log in and back up all your files. Replace your hard drive immediately.

I'’m paraphrasing, but you get the idea: YOUR COMPUTER IS ABOUT TO IMPLODE! MAY DAY, MAY DAY!

Yikes!

The most frustrating thing about this is that my computer failed about a year ago - power pack or something (you'd have to check with my tech support aka Hubby) and I lost a ton of data.

Since then, I've learned. Mostly. I have no way to "back up" my data, but I do email myself my stories to a special email account set up for specifically that purpose. I do it every couple of weeks.

BUT... I have some short stories I haven't emailed yet, and the most recent edits on Camilla are still sitting at risk on my about-to-self-destruct hard drive.

I am thankful that I can get on to my husbands computer and access the internet. It's the little things.

Like the fact that my computer gave me notice of it's terminal illness. I had no idea they could do that.

Oddly enough, neither did my tech savvy hubby.

Uh... Hal? Is that you?

No comments: