Thursday, July 24, 2008

My First Real Post of My New Life :-)

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day. ~Author Unknown

So. Glasses. Who knew what a difference they would make? Not only can I ... yanno... SEE again, but I'm not getting my daily headaches. For the past several years, I've fought a headache everyday. I'm not sure why I didn't connect that with my poor eyesight, but I always blamed it on something else: I slept wrong, I didn't sleep enough, I'm tense, etc. But, no, it appears to have been directly linked to my eyeballs not playing nicely with each other.

Now, I just have to decide whether I wear them all the time or not. Distance vision has been fine thus far, it's just the up close stuff that bothered me. Still, things are a bit crisper far away with the glasses on (though I get a bit of motion sickness still, blech).

Problem is: there is no surgery to correct this problem, and there are no contacts to wear. So, if I go with the glasses for distance, too, then I'm glasses forever. And since I plan on living to 107, forever is a long time.

Anyway, for now I'm just enjoying being able to use the computer again!! YAY!! And, yes, I'll post a picture eventually. I just haven't remember to take one when, oh... my hair is brushed. Or, I'm not in my jammies. But I will.

=================================

Note to people who buy stuff from spammers: JUST. SAY. NO.

If spamming wasn't profitable, people wouldn't do it. So. STOP. For the love of all that's holy... STOP!!!!

I hate spam.

==================================

Allie comes up to my neck of the woods next week! I can't WAIT to see her again. It's good to gab with someone in person... woot! Still looking for a sitter for my DD, but hopefully something will pan out.

===================================

"Funny" story: Remember the yellow-jackets nest I found? Well... a few days later, I found a second one on the other side of the yard, against our house. Same scenario... I was pulling weeds and at one point, when I tugged and the grass peeling back a bit, it buzzed. I dropped it, and stepped back to wait. Sure enough, within seconds the troops were alerted and came pouring out of the nest! YIKES! I grabbed the dog and went inside.

Well, even "funnier"... two days ago, I was moving the plants in front of the house. DH is going to replace the steps he demolished when fixing our front door, but he wants to make them a little bit wider, which will cause them to overlap my garden a bit. So everything needed to scoot down about 8 inches.

I started on the left and dug up the echinacea and replanted it, then headed for the chives (my SIL thinks it's funny I plant chives for their flowers... do you?). DD had mentioned, in passing once, that she'd seen a bumblebee in the dirt by the chives. So, I cautiously stabbed the area with my shovel and lifted the chives a little.

No buzzing. Cool.

Did the other side. Waited. No buzzing. Phew. False alarm.

Now, chives have these tiny, hair-like roots that don't just pop out of the ground, so I needed to do some tugging. I put one foot on either side of the plant, grabbed the base and pulled. And pulled. And pulled.... and they started to move a little.

And then I saw bumblebees. Just one or two at first, but I still stepped back, with the chives all but pulled up. More came out of the dirt, and more, and more... Holy cow!

I found a bumblebee nest. AND, I discovered that they go for depth, and can make their nests a couple feet deep. There is no easy way to destroy one, even if I wanted to, which I didn't. I like bumblebees. They're very non-aggressive (my SIL likes to pet them, lol) and they pollinate my flowers. I just wanted to move the bushes.

In any case, I waited until the sun went down and it was raining, and I went back out and moved everything, leaving the bees their happy home, now underneath a huge seedum plant instead of chives.

Still, I'm just flabbergasted at the number of nests I'm finding this year! What are the odds?

===============================

Enough gabbing for now, I've probably bored you to tears! LOL... I'll fill you in tomorrow or Saturday on DD's foot.

===============================




You Are an "A-OK"



Your life philosophy can be summed up as, "Whatever will be, will be."

Your greatest wish is to live each day a little better than the next.

You are naturally calm and stable. Some people would call you a rock.

You feel one with the world. You are a spiritual person, though no one who knows you would guess it.

11 comments:

Allie Boniface said...

So glad the glasses work!!!

Diane Craver said...

Wonderful news about your glasses and glad you don't have headaches any longer.

Dru said...

I'm so glad that the glasses was the answer. Glad you're able to see and the headaches are gone.

Does the doctor say you should wear them all the time or just at the computer?

re: quiz You Are an "A-OK"

Happy Thursday.

groovyoldlady said...

Hurray for your new glasses! I've been wearing glasses since the fourth grade and can't wear contacts. Fortunately, they make some lovely frames nowadays. 8-)

All we have around here are hornets, hornets and more hornets. Ick!

Keri Mikulski said...

Glad to here about the glasses.. Yikes. Bees stress me out. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm dumbfounded at all the weird critters you have underground there! We just have moles. *g*

Brandy said...

So glad to hear the glasses are working! Awww, how cool that you left the bumblebees alone.

I am "A-Ok". *g*

I hope you're having a nice day!

Rick said...

Have you ever heard of the "Monovision" contacts? (at least I think that's the name). I had similar problems while writing- the headaches et al), and instead of glasses, followed my eye doctor's advice to try lenses where one was set for long distance and the other for close-up. I know it sounds hideous, but it actually works!

But if you glasses are helping, so much for that. Whatever keeps us writing...

Jen said...

That's a lotta nests! Whew! Glad you're seeing again.

Melissa McClone said...

so glad the glasses are helping you, Marianne!!!!

You really want to leave to 107? Why??????

Anonymous said...

I have worn glasses since a little before I was 40. I started out just wearing them to read, but I needed them to see anything up close and it was such a hassle to put them on and off. I see better with them far away too, but yes, I guess once you make the decision to wear them all the time you are committed. I use progressive lenses that are tinted when you are in the sun, so I wear them for everything. I don't mind so much. Just gives you another way to accessorize.