Sunday, October 15, 2006

Give Me an "N"! Give Me an "A"....

There's nothing wrong with having your goals really high and trying to achieve them. That's part of the fun. - Tiger Woods

Anno reminded me about Chris Baty's book No Plot? No Problem. She recently purchased it because she's planning on dipping her toe into the NaNoWriMo pool this year. I'm currently re-reading it, hoping for some inspiration.

You see, I read it last year, and it's what got me all fired up to do NaNo. I'm a 2005 winner. I'm planning on being a 2006 winner... but this year I'm nervous. I wasn't nervous last year. I wasn't prepared, I'm actually more prepared this year. But I'm terrified for November to start. Is it because I know better now?

NaNo is hard. It takes a lot of time and energy and brain power. And courage. Courage to just write and not go back to fix the funkiness of your first draft. I know a couple of ladies in my previous writing group who are VERY talented ladies and aren't doing NaNo because they edit as they write, and don't think they can give that up.

But, see... that's the beauty of being forced to write so much so quickly. How many aspiring authors out there have never even finished a first draft? But how many have a super-fantastic first chapter?

So, even though I'm terrified this year, I'm also excited. And -- if you're doing NaNo, let me know. I'm going to create a list of blogging crazies who are documenting their NaNo journey, and keep a link to you on this blog through November. Just leave me a comment (and make sure your profile is linked to your blog address).

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Ceri Hebert said...

Well, I'm back to the drawing board. I'm rethhinking my nano project. At least I still have 2 weeks to go before it starts. I must have something in my bag o' ideas.

biqupr-big icicles quickly unite pineapple radishes