Saturday, September 23, 2006

This, That, and Another Thing

Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been. ~ Mark Twain, Following the Equator

I spent a good part of the day thinking about Dirk Benedict because of my blog from yesterday. I also thought about how fast time passes and how quickly we grow older.

First off, I think that Mr. Benedict is looking really fine for being sixty (yes, I Googled for current photos):



I only hope I look so good in twenty years.

I watched an episode of the A-Team in his honor (I would have watched Battlestar Galactica, but it apparently isn't on the sci-fi channel anymore) and remembered why I bought Tiger Beat and cut out his pictures for my wall. Mmmm....

I got to thinking about age late last night while I lay in bed wishing I could sleep because I was so tired. I thought about the fact that I have a seven-year-old daughter and I only feel about twenty. Some days I look in the mirror and am shocked to see me -- I have a picture in my head of what I looked like twenty years ago, and in my head, that's how I look.

My NaNo project is about a woman who is forty, and is forced by circumstances to rethink her entire life. It'll be the first time I've written about someone close to my age (I won't be forty for a few more months) though my heroines have gotten a little bit older as time has gone by.

When I was little, I always wanted to be nineteen. It was the perfect age. Then I hit nineteen and thought, "Nope, not the perfect age." and I wanted to be twenty-one. Oddly, the world didn't change that year either. I went into a tail-spin at twenty-five ("I'm a quarter of a century old ! I'm old !") No other age has made me do that. Yet.

In having my niece here over the summer -- she is nineteen, almost twenty -- I realized how unbelievably immature most folks are at the age. When you're going through it, you don't feel that way of course, but I wonder about all the old romances with twenty-year-old heroines. I suppose there are exceptions, but still...

It's good to see that most romances feature ladies who are a little bit older -- at least in the later twenties. But maybe I'm just biased.

I have an old fantasy novel that I completed when I was in high school. I still love the characters, and plan on revisiting it someday (in fact, I thought about using it for NaNo but that's against the rules). My "perfect" heroine is nineteen. And the mystery I submitted to the Avon Teen Writing Contest when I was seventeen? I have twin heroines who were... nineteen. I think I was stuck in a rut.

Now I write about late twenties heroines. I wonder ... when I'm fifty, will I write about even older folks? I mean, some of the most famous authors aged while they wrote, but their heroines haven't.

What age are the ladies you write about? Why? What age of ladies do you like to read about? Why?

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

anno said...

When I was pushing 40, I thought 50 sounded like it was getting old, and I wondered what possibilities life might offer then. So I started thinking about a 50-year-old woman who one day decides that now her children are grown, it's time for her to find her own life. She irons all her husband's shirts, prepares several large pans of lasagna, wraps them into single serving portions and stores them in the freezer, writes a note, and takes off in the family station wagon to discover adventure. And that's as far as it went.

I think women of all ages are capable of romantic yearnings, but that a romance at 15 or 16 is very different from one at 30, 40, or 60. Most of the romantic novels I read these days feature heroines in their late 20s to mid-30s. I would love to read a romance story that featured an older woman, though.

Ceri Hebert said...

I'm finding that my heros and heroines are aging along with me. They average in their early 30s right now. I have written bits and pieces with heroines that are older though. And why not, romance doesn't end at the age of 29.

One wip I started is about a 40 something year old woman who suddenly wakes up to find that she's back as a 23 year old. She has all her memories of being older but has a chance to redo things she wished she could've changed, or keep things as they are. Haven't decided where that one is going. One time travel at a time, please. :)

ibuffqsj-I believe unicorns fly for quick scinitilating journeys

MJFredrick said...

My heroines are mostly always early 30s. I figure at that age, they'll be established in a career, ready to settle down, with some life experience behind them.

My current heroine, though, is 24. Different for me. Nearly young enough to be my daughter! GAH!