Monday, September 25, 2006

Start at the Beginning

“Every novel should have a beginning, a muddle, and an end.” - Peter De Vries

I hate beginnings. Hate. Them. I work it and work it and work it and I still can't get it right. They (you know, the great omniscient "they") say that the beginning is the most important part of your book. To get an agent/editor/contract/contest win your beginning needs to shine. If your beginning stinks, no one will look any further.

No pressure or anything.

The story I had accepted at Wild Rose Press is a good story (if I do say so myself). Thankfully the editor saw that -- even though she didn't like the beginning. You know, the beginning that I worked, reworked, dreamed about and worked again? Yeah... that beginning.

Apparently, I got it right the last time I subbed it thanks to some good friends (especially D, who has the best writing eyes ever).

I'm struggling with the beginning of last years NaNo novel. I've changed that puppy about ten times. I have them all saved, so I could give you an exact count, but that would be embarrassing. I posted the most recent one (well...okay, the most recent THREE) in one of my writing groups. I'm still not in love with it, but I do like it best. So far.

I love writing endings. Love. Them. I could write endings all day and night. I love, Love, LOVE the ending of the Wild Rose Story. It gives me goose bumps. I felt a little like Joan Wilder as I wrote it (That's from Romancing the Stone for all you young pups out there. Get it on DVD if you haven't seen it. It's good.), tissues at the ready.

I love the ending of Playing House.

I like the ending of Liv, but I don't have my ring-dinger last sentence for that one yet.

Ending are fun. Because I write romance, the endings must be satisfying and hopefully make the reader want more, tug at the readers heart a bit, and make the reader sigh.

Endings are the best.

What about you? What part of the story do you enjoy writing most?

3 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

I have the most difficulty writing the ending because I want it to be absolutely perfect. But once I write it I rarely change it. Now, the beginning I find much easier to write, but they get changed around more than I care to admit. My favorite part to write? hmmm... its a toss up between my hero and heroine's first meeting or the first time they admit they love each other.

Now I just need to figure out which wip to work on. Now THAT'S the most difficult part of writing.

dxutyt-darned xylophones usually tempt yellow toads

anno said...

Honestly, I have trouble with it all past the first sentence or two. I am in awe of anyone who has ever finished a story or a novel.

Anonymous said...

I hate loathe and despise middles. I have a horrible time with endings. So I guess that just leaves beginnings. :)

jxqcodwv - jumping xenophobes quit crying over dead wild vegetables