Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Revving up for NaNo

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Though I realize that it's only September, thoughts of NaNoWriMo are dancing through my head. I had a blast last year, finished a novel that I love (that is now in the editing stages) and I'm raring to go this year. The problem?

I don't have a clue, not even one, about what to write this year. Last year I'd figured out a basic plot and characters and several scene ideas. This year? Nada.

Interestingly, the story that I started as a holiday short story (possibly for Wild Rose) is turning into something much deeper -- and longer. And I'd love to use it for NaNo, but that's against the rules.

I had another short story idea that I'm wondering about: can it be expanded? I think, maybe it can and it's a fun one, with the potential of being goofy -- something I need for NaNo because it keeps me enjoying what I write AND allows me to incorporate many of The Dares that they post on the message board for use when you're stuck. Those dares added an entire character and many thousand words to last years NaNo novel.

I have two months. I can do it. I don't like to fail, so I want to make sure I've set myself up for at least a chance of success!

In the meantime... I. Can't. Wait. Woo Hoo! Who needs bungee cords? NaNo is an adrenaline rush for writers.

Edited to add:

My writing friend, Allie, made a good point on her blog today about the subjectiveness of the writing world. After my post yesterday, it was a worthwhile read. Pop on over there and take a look (and tell her "howdy" while you're there).

2 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

You ken dooo eeet!!

I sat down with a notebook last night and jotted down some ideas because I just couldn't concentrate on my editing. I'm just worried that I won't have enough to do 50k, but I never would have thought I couldve gotten 85k out of my first book.

2 months is plenty of time to come up with ideas. I came up with last years idea late in October. But I'd rather plan ahead.

amosob-angry mobs overrun stores over bonbons

Allie Boniface said...

I've never done NaNo...I wonder if I'd have the time...

It's funny where ideas come from. A lot of times, mine pop out of dreams, believe it or not. Sometimes I'm in the shower. Sometimes I'm actually reading a book and get an idea from that. Sometimes I see a person on the street and a character comes together in my mind. I do a lot of "what if"-ing too.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!