Saturday, May 29, 2010

Pillar Place 2010

Beautiful and graceful, varied and enchanting, small but approachable, butterflies lead you to the sunny side of life. And everyone deserves a little sunshine. ~Jeffrey Glassberg

Busy day yesterday -- finished putting in my veggie garden. I still had more squash, cucumbers and all my broccoli and cabbage to plant. But the time I was done, I was about ready to collapse from heat exhaustion (I'm telling you what... the weather this year is NUTS), so I didn't get the paper and straw down. I have that scheduled for Monday (NOT Sunday, when they are calling for 90 degree weather).

I've already lost one of my summer squash plants, so I guess it's good my SIL gave me a few more, and my eggplant isn't looking too healthy. I have to assume it's the early heat before they've had time to really get their roots set. Very frustrating.

I planted parsley seeds for my black swallowtail friends, too. Decided to plant it near the rue I have behind the garden. When I was done, I glanced over at the rue, not really expecting to see any butterbabies (since the earliest we've ever found them was mid-June), but I guess the heat is making everything a little crazy.

I found one. He's bitty and was still black when I found him, though he shed his skin in the late afternoon and now looks more like an adult (though he's still only about 1/2" in length).

DD was gone for the day, so I got the privilege of naming him. I named him "Al" (short for Alpha because he's the beginning).

And thus Pillar Place 2010 begins ... a little weakly (last year we had something like 15 the first day!), and I'm wondering what happened to Al's siblings, though we did have a pretty massive thunderstorm on Wednesday, which would have been the day they hatched based on his size, so they may have gotten washed away (which makes me sad).

Behold Al:



Not that he looks like that anymore... They grow up so fast.

=====================




You Are Engaged



You feel completely absorbed and intrigued right now. You're cheerfully busy.

You're alert and completely involved with everything you do. You don't walk through life half-asleep.

If you're interested and engrossed, then you feel incredibly happy.

You are constantly curious and never bored. There's too much to be fascinated with!



That's mostly right on!

===================

3 comments:

Dru said...

Yay, Pillar Place is back.

You Are Affectionate

Your life is full of love and friendship - and you always have more to give.

You have an open heart. You are willing to take that leap and put your faith in people.

You see the good in everyone and everything. You are a very sympathetic person.

The people you love make you very happy. You feel warmly toward those around you.


This works for me.

Have a great Saturday.

Tori Lennox said...

I wish Mother Nature would get back on her meds....

Hooray for Pillar Place!

Brandy said...

Yay! Can't wait to hear more news from Pillar Place. Poor Al, he's an orphan, but I know y'all will take good care of him.

Re Quiz: You Are Affectionate
Your life is full of love and friendship - and you always have more to give.
You have an open heart. You are willing to take that leap and put your faith in people.
You see the good in everyone and everything. You are a very sympathetic person.
The people you love make you very happy. You feel warmly toward those around you.

Spot on, actually.

I hear you on the heat, hope things cool down a bit for you soon.
Hope you had a good day!