Thursday, May 27, 2010

Fun With Flora

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else? ~Betsy Cañas Garmon, www.wildthymecreative.com

So... our heatwave finally broke last night, with a BANG! About 11:00 I woke up with a jolt -- sounded like someone had set off a bomb in my bedroom. It was thunder. Thankfully, that was the only really bad one and the storm moved through quickly, taking the heat and humidity with it. It's only supposed to be in the high 70s today. Hallelujah!

I took the roses back yesterday and made the nursery lady laugh. She was amazed that only one full day in the sun in front of my house had done the kind of damage it had. They'll be able to snip off the burned blooms, though and the plant will be good as new because the bush itself wasn't bothered.

I ended up buying two more flowering plants -- not bushes this time. I got lavender (not my pictures) for one side:



And a daisy (in "banana cream") for the other:



Both plants sat outside all day yesterday in the blistering sun and made it through just fine.

Since the weather is cooler, I can finish getting in my annuals. I got (again, not my pictures):

Portulaca:



Zinnia:



Petunia:



Ageratum:



And I can finish the rest of my garden as well as putting down my "weed block" of newspaper and straw. It's just been too hot to work outside all week. I'm so excited it's finally cooled down just a bit!

====================




Your Brain is Young



No matter what your actual age is, you've done a good job keeping your brain young.

You know that the key to a healthy brain is exercising it, and that's something you just do naturally.

You're the type of person who is curious about everything, and your curiosity makes your brain healthy.

Keep reading, learning, and engaging with the world. You've figured out the secrets to being mentally sharp.



Cool!

====================

6 comments:

Dru said...

You'll have to share pictures of your garden when it is completed.

re quiz: my brain is young.

Have a great Thursday.

Michele said...

Your Brain is Average
figures

MomJane said...

My brain is young, and considering my age, that's good news.

Now you are cooling down, we have a couple more days of rain and then.....80-90 degree weather. Are we trading weather here?

CountryDew said...

You'll have lots of lovely things to look at! My brain is average. Oh well.

Brandy said...

The daisy's are pretty and all your other choices are lovely! I may try your weed block out soon, we have what we call centipede grass and it's creeping into our veggie garden.
My brain is average. Figures. *G*

I hope you have a nice day!

Tori Lennox said...

Hey, want to come to our house and landscape our yard? :)