Monday, March 08, 2010

Spring is ... Springing

It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so! ~Mark Twain

I can't say that spring has sprung, because it's not *quite* done doing its thing. But -- WOW -- are things warming up early this year. Two things have made it feel like spring to me.

First, check this out -- these are from the garden in front of my house:




Second, I had to pull in my bird feeders last night. NH Fish & Game report bear sightings, even in the far north, so the bird feeder raiders are awake and HUNGRY. I've never pulled them in this early. I usually wait until mid-April, though last year my feeders got nabbed early by our backyard bear.

I even worked outside, raking leaves out of my one "woods" garden because I know the daffodils are coming up and I have piles and piles of them in there. Last year, I didn't rake it out right away and the poor daffs were growing as best they could under their heavy load and when I finally raked, they were a good 3 - 4" high, but bent over and pale, pale green from no sun exposure. Poor critters. Not this year! Nope, I went out and got my first blisters of the year -- but their little nubs are exposed to the sun.

I'm even going to plant my seeds early. I'm planning on making little miniature greenhouses out of discarded milk jugs and liter bottles, and will put those over the tops of my most tender plants until it's safe to let them out into the big bad world for real.

Yeppers.... from here on out, it's gardening season. *G*

=========================




You Are a Tiger



You are an even tempered, controlled person. You assess situations carefully.

You are aggressive, but you are never out of control. You pick and choose your battles.

You are rational and calm. Even if something should effect you, you don't let it.

You are cool and calculating. People can rely on you, as long as they don't cross you!



LOL.. that's pretty close to correct!

===================

9 comments:

Dru said...

We've been teased with Spring-like temps and I love it.

re quiz: I'm a tiger and it is accurate.

Have a great Monday.

Maria Zannini said...

Bears make me nervous. I'd be afraid they'd go after the dogs--or vice versa.

MomJane said...

I thik this is mostly correct.

You Are a Zebra
You are an easygoing and friendly person. You find getting along with people to be a snap.
You are creative and expressive. You always have your own unique view on things.

You deal with conflict well, and you never take anything too personally. You are always willing to compromise.
You make a good leader. You don't mind being in charge, and you're always happy to listen to feedback.

Melissa McClone said...

We may get some snow this week. Of course, everything has bloomed already. But I'm so excited at the thought of even a dusting.

Brandy said...

Our weeds are already green and our weeping willow is starting to bud. We've had warm temps for the weekend and today it's 68 degrees! Too weird.

I hope you enjoy your gardening, and day!

Tori Lennox said...

Spring is springing here too! Yay! Just as long as the tornadoes don't come around.

Sarita Leone said...

We still have waist-high snow in our yard. I am so glad you're sharing your signs of spring, thank you! :)

Ceri Hebert said...

Pretty flowers! I love spring (except for the bugs). My mom is holding out on bringing in the feeders. She worries the birds won't have anything else to eat. Still a lot of snow in her area.

And turkeys. And 'possum. And a pregnant stray kitty. And a hawk too.

She's thinking of opening a wild animal park. I think a bear would be a real draw.

Keri Mikulski said...

Yay Spring!! Enjoy! :) Happy Monday!