Thursday, March 04, 2010

Sunshine!

Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow. —Helen Keller

Tuesday was an absolutely gorgeous day here -- sunny, warm (for us!) and no wind. Lovely. I wanted to play hooky in the worst way, but I'm still absurdly behind. Even so, we did take a nice walk, though not as long as I would have liked because Dakota broke her retractable leash.

We have two leashes for her -- one for when we expect her to heel and behave like an obedient dog (a short one), and one for our long, meandering walks (a 26' retractable one). I know the "Dog Whisperer" says that dogs should walk beside/behind you on your walks, that they shouldn't wander and sniff, etc. That the walk should be "intentional", but we've just found that all of us enjoy the walk better when Dakota can sniff and wander. It's not that I can't make her walk properly... I can. It's that, in this instance, I choose not to.

So Tuesday, we walked around the back "loop" of our cul-de-sac to let her potty in the woods. We like to empty her out before we walk in neighborhoods (people who let their dogs poop on the sidewalk or in other folks yards drive me nuts). She's learned that sometimes we go back in the house after that walk (especially if it's cold) and sometimes we don't, so she slows WAY down at the edge of our driveway and listens for me to say either "going in" or "okay!". If I say "OKAY!" she tears, full speed ahead, across the driveway and down the road until she hits the end of her leash, the one time she yanks hard.

Tuesday she did this, yanked and the leash snapped at the end inside the handle (THANK HEAVENS ... I'm so relieved it didn't snap in the middle or up at her end, and then retract madly and hit me at 20 mph). She kept running until we yelled at her and our "long" walk was over. Poor puppy.

We've since bought a new one and now are just waiting for another nice day.

======================

I wrote yesterday. Bored myself to tears despite the fact that the story is funny and interesting in my head. It didn't come out that way on paper. Clearly the story needs work. But, I DID take my hour and wrote. YAY.

=======================




You Are Cooking



You are a very generous and caring person. You love to make other people happy, and you love to give.

You are content when you are busy with projects. You enjoy working with your hands.

You are both intuitive and creative. You are good at figuring out how to make things work, and you love to experiment.

You may be only following recipes for now, but eventually you'll be creating your own amazing, original meals.



50/50....

==================

7 comments:

Dru said...

Good luck with your story and glad that you're taking the hour to write.

You Are Photography

You are a very observant person. You can't tune out the world around you, so you pay careful attention to it.

You prefer to be the one who blends into the scenery, so that you can totally appreciate the scenery.

You tend to see things that other people miss. You have an artist's eye. You can turn anything into art.

Photography is the perfect hobby for you because you can just hang back, watch, and create.


90% accurate

Maria Zannini said...

I agree with you about letting the dog sniff around.

Since our walks are usually on our property, I let Tank roam without a leash. He's soooo trustworthy!

But Iko I keep on a long leash--because he's NOT. Something catches that little puppy eye and he forgets all about heeling and obeying. So until he grows up, he stays on leash.

Now if we're in town, especially at Petsmart, both are on short leashes. Tank scares people with his size and Iko knocked down a Petsmart employee trying to give him a kiss. It was his fault, he called Iko over to him thinking he was shy.

There is nothing shy about Iko.

Marianne Arkins said...

ROFL about Iko, Maria. People at the pet places should know proper pet etiquette. "May I pet your dog?"

We have a dog in agility who LOOKS sweet, wags her tail, is part golden part whatever jumped the fence and everyone wants to go pet her.

Looks are deceiving. She's the only dog in there that might take off a few fingers if you're not careful. We give her a wide berth.

Diane Craver said...

Glad you got to write and got a walk in and enjoyed being outside for a short time.

I haven't written - we are working on taxes now - yuck.

MomJane said...

You Are Gardening
You are a very patient and nurturing person. You love to help people grow and change for the better.
You feel for the whole world - people, animals, and plants. You love having creatures and humans under your care.

You are a responsible person, and having many responsibilities makes you feel good. You love to be needed.
You are a perfect gardener because you are able to be there for your plants every day. Watching them grow delights you.

Brandy said...

Glad to hear that the leash didn't hurt Dakota. Hope you get some nice weather soon so she can go for another walk. *G*

You Are Reading: You are an interesting mix of curious and relaxed. You have an insatiable hunger for knowledge.
However, you also seek comfort. It bothers you to travel too much and to be away from home.
That's why reading is the perfect hobby for you. You can explore the world from the comfort of your favorite chair.
You are comfortable with quiet and being alone. All you need is a good book to keep you company.

Hmm, about 90% accurate. As noisy as my family is I love having them around me.

I hope you're having a pleasing day!

Tori Lennox said...

I hear you on the bored with my writing thing. I am bored senseless with mine. It may be time for another break. Except I know my writing group will flay me alive if I do. *g*