Sunday, December 06, 2009

A Winter Wonderland

Winter came down to our home one night
Quietly pirouetting in on silvery-toed slippers of snow,
And we, we were children once again.
~Bill Morgan, Jr.


We got quite a bit of snow yesterday -- I have upwards of 4 - 5" piled on my deck. It's too dark out to take decent pictures (the flash only throws so far), but it's pretty. I like to look at snow. I don't like to walk in it, drive in it or play in it... but it's pretty to look at. I told DH if anything ever happened to me, I'd move south so fast, people's head would spin.

I didn't have use of my computer for a good part of the day -- DH needed it for something -- and with the snow flying, I felt like cooking. So, I did.

I made potato/cheese soup (mmmmmmmm... one of my favorite comfort foods) and Cornmeal Yeast Rolls from Suzanne McMinn's recipe. They turned out okay -- a little heavy and moist but very yummy.

I then proceeded to eat myself stupid all day. I was so stuffed when I went to bed, I thought I might hibernate the winter away. Ugh. I'm still not hungry this morning. Is there such a thing as too much potato soup and homemade cornmeal rolls?

====================

I finally got my computer back in the afternoon and proceeded to upload 14 new pairs of earrings to DistinctivelyDD. These are my faves - cute, fancy little snowmen (you can click on the picture to go to the store if you want):



I'm stealing them if they don't sell! I also like these two a lot:




I've had DD make me four pairs of earrings so far, and she's getting really, really good at the work, making awesome loops with the metal at the top of each earring (it's harder than it looks).

It's kinda like having my own jewelry store right in the house. I mentioned I needed blue earrings the other day, and 30 minutes later... I HAD SOME. Very cool.

Now... I just need to decide what orders I need to place with her for Christmas gifts. *G*

========================

Speaking of DD, she has some serious sledding planned for today. And DH will probably ride his snowmobile around the house and maybe into the woods a bit. We actually have a real snowmobile trail about a mile out back of us, and DH fashioned his own trail from our house to meet up with it. This is good and bad -- good cuz he doesn't have to drive anywhere to go, once it snows enough. Bad cuz we frequently end up with lost snowmobilers in our yard! It happened a couple of times last year well after midnight and those suckers are LOUD.

Oh well.

Winter has begun in earnest. I'm praying for snow and not ice on Wednesday. Feel free to join me.

==========================

Taken from Charity's blog:




You Are Inventive



You are funky, outdoorsy, and down to earth.

While you may not be a total hippie...

You're definitely one of the most free spirited people around.



You are very impulsive - every day is a new adventure.

However, you do put some thought behind all your actions.

Still, you do tend to shock and offend people from time to time!



Hmmm... outdoorsy and down to earth, yes. Impulsive and free-spirited? No. :::shrugs:::

===========================

3 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

Well, we are nearly to the first anniversary of last years ice storm, but I will be adding my prayers with yours that we don't have a repeat!

Such beautiful earrings! She's doing a fantastic job!

Brandy said...

My kids want a white Christmas. I told them they're not going to get it here! Though I do wish it snowed more here. *G* DD's earrings are lovely! And how cool that she can make you any color you have a whim for!

Re Quiz: I am Honest: You are pure, moral, and adaptable.
You tend to blend into your surroundings.
Shy on the outside, you're outspoken to your friends.
You believe that you live a virtuous life...
And you tend to judge others with a harsh eye.
As a result, people tend to crave your approval.

I hope I'm not harsh..... and I don't know anyone that craves MY approval.

I hope you're having a good day!

Tori Lennox said...

DD is so talented!!!