Wednesday, December 23, 2009

O Grocery Store

The odds of going to the store for a loaf of bread and coming out with only a loaf of bread are three billion to one. ~Erma Bombeck

I went to the grocery store for some stuff yesterday, and then used the self-checkout. DD loves to run the items through the scanner and bag them up, and I don't see the harm. Except yesterday, every single employee must have come by and told us that the self-checkout is really for people with only a few items (we had enough for four bags). I very nearly smacked the last guy who said it. If you only want folks with 10 items, them put that on the checkout. Otherwise, LEAVE ME ALONE. It's not as though people were waiting in line -- there were two other open self-checkouts. Sheesh.

In fact, it annoyed me enough that I'm probably going to start shopping at a different store. It's a little farther away from me, but the prices are comparable, and they don't nag me if I have a cart full of groceries and opt to use the self checkout.

Our Christmas tree is dead. I'm really, really tired of our tree dying before Christmas and told DH I'm getting a fake tree -- will go out the day after Christmas and find a nice one for 50% off. Because I'm tired of ornaments slipping off because the branches droop and I'm tired of cleaning up needles. Most of the bottom branches are stripped bare of needles from the dog wagging her tail and knocking them off. It's hard to yell at your dog for being happy...

We're burning in our wood stove again. DH took the pipe off and looked up (instead of looking at the top) and said it looks pretty dang clean from this side. I don't know what's up -- I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff. So, I just nod and do what he says, lol. I have to admit to really enjoying the amount of heat we get from the stove as opposed to oil heat. It keeps the house very toasty.

Today, I'll make sugar cookie dough and let it refrigerate overnight. DH actually wants to help decorate them, so we had to wait until he had a day off (which would be Christmas Eve). He's never expressed interest in decorating them before, so I'm puzzled, but happy. It'll be good for him to do something like that with DD.

Otherwise, we're good to go for Christmas!

==========================



You Are Red



You are a passionate, outgoing, and intense person. You are naturally joyful.

However, you tend to be quite intense, and your temper is easy to spark.



You are confident and a real go-getter. You don’t fear or expect failure.

You are a very lucky person. You are destined to be prosperous – if you aren’t already.




Except for the "naturally joyful" part, this is pretty close.

========================

8 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

That's weird about the self check out lane. Granted most people I see there have only a few items, but I've seen big loads too and no one (here) has ever complained.

You're right though. If they don't want big loads going through self checkout, they should post a sign. No sign means free use to all.

Sarita Leone said...

How annoying!

Love it that you're going to have help with the cookies. Have fun!

Dru said...

The store should have a sign if they want to restrict the number of items you can use on the self checkout line.

You Are Green

You are a peaceful, balanced, and together person. You are naturally calm.

However, you have your own inner demons that you struggle with from time to time… mainly greed and jealousy.

You are very reflective and creative. You are always thinking of and pursuing new ideas.

You believe that spiritual and personal growth is important. You are always trying to change for the better.


Have a good Wednesday.

J.A. Saare / Aline Hunter said...

If that were me, I'd have asked to speak to a member of management. There was absolutely no reason for anyone to address you regarding the number of items in your cart. No limit listed on the isle/registers means it's your call.

Hope you have a great Christmas. I've about to start baking apple pies for dinner with the family.

Brandy said...

I can't believe something was said to you about the self checkout. If they didn't want someone to use them for more items they should have a sign limiting items. Meanies.
I am red. Not sure how close it is, though.

Have a wonderful time decorating cookies!

Tori Lennox said...

I agree with you and everyone else re the self-checkout lane. If they don't have a sign, then it ISN'T just for a few items. Idiots.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Very strange about the self-checkout. You would think they would just be grateful someone was using it at all. :)

Merry Christmas!

Ceri Hebert said...

When I go to Walmart the kids love to do the self checkout. I usually have tons of stuff. sorry they were so rude to you. I'd find a different store too.