Friday, June 20, 2008

Putting the "pill" in Caterpillar

We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty. ~Maya Angelou

I mentioned, yesterday, that I had two pillars ready to take a walkabout for pupa-hood. Black swallowtail are very good about staying on their food until they are ready to go through the change, and I knew two (Bubba and Bubs) were about there. If you don't contain them, they'll wander the house... OTOH, I really didn't want them to make their pupae in the community box, either.

I made Bubba a box of his own on Weds (they grow up and move out so quickly), and decided to wait until yesterday for Bubs. And then promptly forgot.

Last night, as the sun was setting, I checked on them. Bubs was on the floor of the dill pillar box, unable to climb the slick walls (it's plastic)... poor critter. So, quick like a bunny, I grabbed a nearby tissue box, pulled out the tissues and plopped him inside and then taped netting over the hole.

Poof! A pillar home. We are so scientific here.

Phew... got them covered. I decide to double check the (covered) parsley pillar box to make sure everyone has food, and that they're all still alive. Imagine my surprise when I opened it and found a pillar on the roof. And another on the wall.

Walkabout-ing.

Ack! They're too young! Too little! I'm not ready! I make the executive decision to use the Gladware-type boxes I was saving for the monarchs. It's not optimal, but I didn't have another tissue box handy.

Of course, then I'm in a panic. Clearly these pillars haven't read the Pillar Place 2008 Handbook on when to pupate. NOW I need to make certain everyone, regardless of size, lives in a box with a cover.

Luckily, I am a box packrat (you never know when you'll need just a certain sized box to mail something, after all). And thus, at about 8:30 last evening, all pillars were contained.

Cuz, yanno, I didn't have anything better to do. I must be out of my mind.

===============================

No vole holes this morning... I'm whispering because I don't want to jinx myself. Shhh...

===============================

I get to see Allie in July. Yep...excited!! WOOT! More on that later.

===============================

What I'm reading: I've pulled out, but haven't cracked the cover of, "Exit Strategy" by Kelley Armstrong for my next read and will start it today.

What I'm writing: Between voles and pillars and puppies, I didn't touch my writing. I did, however, moodle. Thinking counts. *G*

=========================

I'll check Blogthings regularly for new quizzes. If they have one, I'll do it here. That's my final answer. *G*

6 comments:

groovyoldlady said...

You really should write a 'pillar manual for those of us who consistantly accidentally murder our captives!

Dru said...

Wow, they sure grow up fast, don't they. Glad you were able to provide quick homes for them.

Yay on meeting up with Allie.

Have a good Friday.

Diane Craver said...

Good for you keeping boxes so you were prepared.

I'm glad thinking counts - I do a lot of that when I'm not writing. I love thinking about scenes when I'm not actually writing.

Have a great weekend, Marianne!

Brandy said...

I have to keep boxes, too. For the cats! *G* Glad you have things under control with all of them.

Please let me know what you think of Exit Strategy.

Have a nice day!

Anonymous said...

::sniffle:: they're moving out already?

Moodling on writing counts. It always counts. It's like giving the flavors in a sauce a time to bloom by letting it simmer all day.

Have a great weekend!

anno said...

Glad to hear about the cessation of the vole wars. Those pillars, though, wow, they sound like a serious threat any hope of seeing a new story of yours at WRP. When do they start making their cocoons?

Amy said it perfectly: moodling on writing definitely counts. I liked her "simmering sauce" analogy, too.