Monday, June 16, 2008

Monday, Monday... finally

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again? ~Winnie the Pooh

It's FINALLY Monday. Last week may have been the longest week of my life. TGIM.

I was going to do the Monday Morning Meme today, but the Time Capsule question required too much thought, and I'm short on brain cells today. However, the gift card question? LOVE THEM. Love to give them, love to get them. In case you were wondering :-)

Let's see: Pillar Place questions from yesterday. The "white stuff" in the votive holders is napkins! Yes, we are highly technical and scientific here. Ha. I wrap the stems of whatever plant in napkins and stuff them in little votive holders and then fill the holders with water. I started using napkins because I didn't want the pillars to fall off accidentally for some reason and then drown -- but I had to keep the stems wet.

Yesterday, though I tried using wet floral foam in it's place. It takes something like ten napkins for each holder, and I change out the food every couple of days, an it got old, wrapping and unwrapping. This way I can just stick them in the little holes I've made. Easy peasy.

The dill didn't love the floral foam, and wilted almost immediately -- but after a few hours, it did perk up. I often wonder what the pillars think of their homes wilting and perking. Is it a little Pillar Place amusement park ride?

Today, I need to figure out homes WITH LIDS for them -- the dill is too tall to fit in the boxes I usually use. And, while swallowtail butterflies stay on their food while they're growing and don't travel (unlike Monarchs, who move from their food almost daily to shed their skin), when they're ready to make their pupae, they wander. We found this out the hard way our first year when we had to have a pillar hunt through the house after we'd left them without their lid too long.

======================

Didn't catch my vole yesterday. Did, however, catch a chipmunk! He barely fit in the trap. I guess they like apple slices, too, lol. And then, he pushed out of the cage before I had it aimed right for his release, and ran right into Dakota... yikes! He was almost dinner.

There are four new holes in the vole apartment complex. Bother. I did move what was left of my iris and liatris. That garden is all but empty. Still, I'd like to CATCH him before he moves on to another garden. At least, now, I know where my enemy is.

========================

What I'm reading: I'm still reading "The Hollow" by Nora Roberts. I'm actually rather enjoying it so far. It's ... different. Unusual. This trilogy, and her last (vampire) one are a little bit of a departure for her.

What I'm writing: Judy tells me I'll be getting the LASR story for this week to work on soon. I hope so... yanno... cuz Thursday is only a couple of days away. I also started thinking about Camilla again. I'm wondering if I need to find a different reason for Jed to stay, other than an injury, because that stupid injury thing is what keeps tripping me up. **sigh**

===========================




All American Kid



Popular but not plastic. Athletic but not a jock. Smart but not a brain.

You were well rounded and well liked in high school.



LOL... Okay. Actually, I did get along with everyone -- but I was a drama geek.

5 comments:

Judy said...

What if something comes up in the community itself that his expertise is needed for?

And short story: today, I promise... nearly there.

Dru said...

I think gift cards are the greatest inventions.

Brainy Kid

In high school, you were acing AP classes or hanging out in the computer lab.

You may have been a bit of a geek back then, but now you're a total success!


At least it didn't say I was the nerd.

Have a good Monday.

groovyoldlady said...

Apparently I was popular.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

We have one of those tall butterfly habitat cages. It's very cool.

Poor Chippy! I sure do hope you catch the cunning voles of doom.

Brandy said...

Whoo! Bet Dakota wanted that Chipmunk, BADLY. *g*

Sorry you still haven't caught the vole.

Thanks for answering the question of what was in the bottom of the votives.

According to the quiz I was the Arty Kid. "Whether you were a drama freak or an emo poet, you definitely were expressive and unique.
You're probably a little less weird these days - but even more talented!"
Hmmm, I did read and write poetry, but then again I always had my face in a book. *G*

I hope you have a nice day!

Anonymous said...

LOL on the chipmunk. Sort of. I hope you catch the voles soon.

I'll be interested in watching the progress of pillar place.