Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Prep -- Or Drugs For Cats

Cats seem to go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for what you want. ~Joseph Wood Krutch

Yesterday, I was using bleach along the edges of my linoleum (does yours get a little dirty line where the mop doesn't get to... the edge all around the kitchen? Tell me I'm not alone...) and I noticed my cat behaves very oddly when confronted with a bit of bleach.

She rolls in it. And then she rolls around near it. And sniffs where it used to be after I've cleaned it up. I ended up having to lock her in the spare bedroom while I scrubbed it with an old toothbrush. And then, when I let her out? She made a mad dash to the spot and sniffed and rolled again.

Who needs catnip? Sheesh.

========================

Yesterday at dusk, I was outside with the puppy letting her pee and run around a little. I considered letting her off her leash so she could really run around -- she always comes back because she has learned that I keep dog food in my pocket and every time I call her, I feed her. She's no dummy.

Anyway... just about the time I decide to let her off her leash, a huge owl flies over and lands in a tree branch nearby. I've seen him in the backyard before, and we also have a pair of hawks who nest somewhere close (though I haven't seen them in a while... do hawks migrate?).

I look at the owl... then at Dakota who, though having grown tremendously, is still a little bugger. Then back at the owl, who I swear was licking his chops. And I was grateful I hadn't let her off her leash.

Eventually, she'll be too big for those birds of prey, but not yet.

Sometimes it's cool to live in the boonies. Sometimes, not so much.

============================

And... another random quiz:

What You Know About Your Guy: Practically Everything

You have gotten to know your man really well
From his hopes and dreams to favorite things...
You definitely have enough info to figure out if he's *the* guy
In fact, you may know him a little better than you know yourself

4 comments:

Allie Boniface said...

Ooh, that's a little freaky about the owl...

and interestingly enough, a cat at the shelter where I volunteer does the same thing when I mop the floor there!

Anonymous said...

Scary but also kind of cool about the owl. We almost never get interesting birds like that around here.

Melissa McClone said...

Oh, so glad you didn't have the puppy off leash. I've heard owls like cats too. Scary.

Hope you have a great day!

Brandy said...

We bought some spray recently that is supposed to repell the cats and keep them away from the tree. We tested it and found to our amusement and horror, that they loved it. Like it was catnip! So, no, the bleach isn't surprising. *g*

Have a nice day!