Sunday, December 02, 2007

12 Christmas Q's

Christmas is a time when you get homesick - even when you're home. ~ Carol Nelson



From Hootin' Annie by way of Judy:

1. Christmas is for children. [fill in the blank with ONE WORD] I know, I cheated and used two words. Sue me.

2. In memories, what was the best part of your Christmases past? We were incredibly ... uh, money challenged when I was a child. But my family came up with some clever gifts that I LOVED. One year I got this short little table they'd decoupaged with Holly Hobby pictures and painted pink. Once I got a garbage can (a metal one) that had had each indentation painted a different color and a chain attached between lid and handle to use as a toy box.

It made up a little for the powdered eggs and the MREs my step-dad brought home from the national guard for us to eat! Ugh.

3. Was Santa ever good to you? [describe how and what] The best Christmas gift I ever got was this:


Only she was a little smaller then. So, yes... Santa has been very good to me.

4. Do you open gifts on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, or both? One on Christmas Eve -- when I was little we got PJs and an ornament -- and the rest on Christmas Day. My DH and I fought over this when we were first married, because the tradition in his family was to open everything on Christmas Eve, go to Midnight Mass, and then in the morning they got whatever Santa brought. I had a real problem with that, so that was one time I held firm! LOL... choose your battles.

5. Is there something you make each and every year? No. I used to try to cross-stitch an ornament every year but, UGH, I just don't have time any more.

6. What are your favorite five[5] Christmas songs/hymns? "Oh Holy Night" (but only when it's sung right -- Josh Groban does a fabulous version), "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" (again, only if it's done right -- Suzy Boggus does my fave version), "Angels We Have Heard On High", "Oh Come, All Ye Faithful", and "Joy to the World". Yep, I'm all about traditional.

Least fave? "Feliz Navidad" -- talk about an ear worm! All it takes is hearing that for one flash, and it's stuck in my head for DAYS. UGH. It wouldn't be so bad if it had more than two lines of lyrics.

7. Is there a new tradition for Christmas since your childhood days? Nope!

8. Describe one of your Christmas trips. For the most part, we stay home. I've asked the DH to have us host the post-morning festivities for his family the past few years. Mostly we have, though once or twice we've been to his folks who live about 40 minutes away. I just really like to be home at Christmas.

9. Do you have a special Christmas outfit to wear for the day? I try to stick with a solid red and green theme. I have a red chenille sweater I've worn the past two years.

10. Have YOU or any of your family members sat on Santa's lap? My mom tried ONCE when I was little. I was painfully shy and NOT a happy camper. I've tried to get my DD to do it, but she's wary of men she doesn't know (yes, even Santa, apparently) and won't do it. Once, two friends and I visited Santa when I was nineteen or twenty. Somewhere I still have the picture!

11. What is/or will be on your Christmas tree this year? I'm all about tradition, so most of the ornaments will have some meaning. Many are from when I was a child or that my DD has made. She has her own box of ornaments that we've given her over the years. With the exception of two boxes of balls (my DH loves balls on the tree...), everything else holds a memory. It's very eclectic, but full of love!

12. Do you/or have you decorated your yard for Christmas? Gah, no. I have a strong aversion to most of the stuff people put in their yards. I'm not going to go into detail because, without a doubt I'll offend someone. We used to put candles in the windows, but haven't replaced the ones that have broken. So, now we just have a wreath.

Let me know if you play along so I can come visit you!


=========================

Your Christmas is Most Like: A Very Brady Christmas

For you, it's all about sharing times with family.
Even if you all get a bit cheesy at times.


==========================

That storm in the Midwest-- yanno, the one that closed airports and killed people? Yep, that's the one headed our way. Wish us luck. If, for some reason I don't post tomorrow, it's because I don't have power.

Yikes. I hope that doesn't happen!

5 comments:

Dru said...

We got snow this morning and it looked pretty.

My Christmas is Most Like: A Charlie Brown Christmas

Each year, you really get into the spirit of Christmas.
Which is much more important to you than nifty presents.

groovyoldlady said...

Gee...it KILLED people? Guess I'll stay out of the yahd while she's a-blowin'!!!

I'm like a Charlie Brown Christmas. Our tree is also very ecclectic. All the ornaments are either homemade by me, by the kiddos , or were gifts from someone who loves us. The only "theme" is love!

And NO WAY would I go to all the hassle of putting lights and doo-dads in the yard. We do, however put lights around the inside of the front windows. Since it gets dark by 4 stinking o'clock up here, the cheerful lights (along with a healthy dose of St. John's Wort) help me fight off S.A.D.

Tori Lennox said...

I'm a Very Brady Christmas, too. :)

No snow here. It's rainy and ridiculously warm.

Unknown said...

I don't decorate the yard, but I do put lights on the sidewalk stair rail.

Was supposed to put up the tree this weekend, but it will have to wait. :(

Stay safe from that storm blowing your way.

Lee

Brandy said...

We'll get rain while y'all will most probably get snow. So not fair.
I'm a Brady Christmas, too. Our tree has an eclectic mix of old, new and childhood ornaments.

Have a peaceful sunday!