Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I pointed out to my DH yesterday what a good kitty Lexie is. "She doesn't get on the counters at all, or on the table. She doesn't open the cupboards or knock over the trash." He said, "I found her on the back of the couch!" (Because, you see, the animals aren't allowed on the furniture... *sigh*). I told him at least it was something that was meant to be sat on (and reminded him that she wasn't clawing it, just sleeping on it).

That's what comes from marrying someone who never had pets growing up (not even a fish -- which I think is just wrong on so many levels).

Lexie, OTOH, seems unfazed. She has also decided that her water dish simply won't do, and prefers Dakota's:



Tried to visit a few places yesterday, but had some trouble commenting. Don't know if it was Blogger or me. :-(

DD had a rough day at school yesterday. Her BFF was out sick and DD said no one would talk to her. In fact, it was as if she had the plague. She drew me a picture of history class (where there are no assigned seats) and she sat in the front corner, and everyone else left a buffer of empty desks between her ... the rest of the class all sat in the farthest away corner. She cried all the way home. Real tears because they were quiet and very, very sloppy.

Her friend will probably be out again today. DD is dreading it, but we talked about how to engage people in conversation and how to behave in various situations. Whether it helps or not, I have no idea. But the simple fact is: she won't always have a friend around so she needs to learn how to deal.

I was perpetually the "new kid" in school as my folks moved so frequently (and often in the middle of a school year), so I had to learn how to make new friends constantly. It's not fun, it's not comfortable, but it's a good skill to have.

As a side note, I talked to her friend's mom the other day (her friend was also homeschooled until this year) and she said, "I thought I'd have so much time once the kids were in school, but I swear I have LESS."

It was good to know I'm not the only one who feels that way...

Have a happy hump day!

=================



You Are a Turkey Sandwich



Conservative and a bit shy, you tend to stick with what you know and trust.

You are very introverted, and you prefer to blend in whenever possible.

Though you may be hard to know well, anyone who does know you considers you a true friend.



Your best friend: The Ham Sandwich



Your mortal enemy: The Tuna Fish Sandwich



Mostly right ... yes really. Okay -- who's a ham sandwich?

=========================

3 comments:

Angelina Rain said...

I'm sorry about DD. I remember what that was like. My family moved around a lot too so I went to different schools in grades 3 to 6. Every year was a new school. I was always very shy and always had a hard time making friends, and when those friends were sick I was always alone. I can so relate to DD. I hope her friend gets better soon and I hope DD makes a few new friends.

Brandy said...

I can't imagine growing up without pets.
I hope DD has a better day today despite her friends absence.
I was painfully shy during school years (not much has changed) so I understand your daughter's fears and loneliness.

You asked and shall receive: You Are A Ham SandwichYou are quiet, understated, and a great comfort to all of your friends.
Over time, you have proven yourself as loyal and steadfast.
And you are by no means boring. You do well in any situation - from fancy to laid back.
Your best friend: The Turkey Sandwich
Your mortal enemy: The Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Pretty good. I hope I live up to those nice qualities. But, I AM boring. *g*

I wish a peaceful day for you!

Dru said...

I today was a good one for DD.

re quiz: I'm a turkey sandwich and it is accurate.