Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Crazy Days in NH

“A citizen of America will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote in a national election.” -- Bill Vaughn

Can I tell you how glad I am that the NH Presidential Primary is finally here? Fact is, I know who I'm voting for, and have known for some time... so the ELEVEN phone calls I got yesterday from various candidates aren't changing my mind. Okay, I'll be honest -- two of those phone calls were surveys. I picked those up and answered them, cuz I like to answer those... except I really hate the question about "What's the most important thing..." (i.e. the economy, immigration, the war in Iraq, values, etc.) because I always want to say "all of the above".

In any case, it will be a relief to not have to hear it all for awhile. It is pretty nifty to be in such a little state where this is all so important. You get to meet the candidates if you want (I was invited to no less than four house parties, and two town halls) and it's made talking about the whole process to DD quite easy since it's always in the forefront. She loves to go vote with me.

Polls open at 6 a.m. in our town, which is good for us--because of DH's hours, if they didn't open that early he wouldn't have been able to vote.

So "GO ((insert name of my candidate here -- and, no, I'm not saying))!!"

======================

I think my wonderful Samhain cover artist and I have finally decided on a cover for "One Love For Liv". I was hesitant to go with an animated cover, but nothing else seemed to work...so animated it is. She found one that perfectly expresses the sentiment in the book, though I have to admit, I do wish there was a bull mastiff on the front. Oh well, guess you can't have everything!!

=======================

I got what are *probably* the final round of edits for "A Change Of Heart". My editor wants to get this into production by the beginning of February, so I need to get them done ASAP. I'm excited. I like this story... but then, I really rather like all the stories I write.

Note to my regular readers: I don't think this one will make you cry unless you have very sympathetic tear ducts.

========================
Your Daily Dakota:



Yes, she is a hunting dog... there's a squirrel on the bird feeder -- look at that pose! LOL...

==========================

The Recipe For Marianne

3 parts Savvy
2 parts Happiness
1 part Rebellion

Splash of Delight

Serve over ice


OOOH.... I like!!

13 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

Can't wait to see the cover!

I've been overwhelmed with phone calls too. And the mailings. I feel like collecting them and sending them back to the candidates. Surprisingly I haven't received one call or one flyer from the candidate I'm backing.

I'm going to be glad to see everything end at the end of the day, but I must say, it's exciting for NH to be so important, at least for a few days.

Dru said...

I love today's quote which is so true.

Wow, your cover for "One Love For Liv" sounds interesting. I can't wait to see it.

Hey, I never get phone calls from the candidates. Maybe that is a good thing.

Good luck with your edits on "A Change of Heart".

Beautiful pose by Dakota. How do you get these impromptu pictures without her running away?

My recipe
3 parts Glamour
2 parts Naughtiness
1 part Fun

Splash of Savvy

Finish off with an olive


Have a good day.

Melissa Blue said...

I think I may be the last person on this earth who still likes animated covers.

groovyoldlady said...

3 parts Pizzazz
2 parts Energy
1 part Craftiness

Splash of Whimsy

Finish off with a squeeze of lime juice

Sounds like moi!

And, ironically, I think Newt G just tried to call me...

Jen said...

Sounds like a good recipe for you! We have our primaries next week, but through a stupid glitch through the stupid Michigan GOP and DEM higher-ups, our votes aren't even going to really count. Ridiculous.

Glad DD had a good educational experience this morning!

BTW... I don't usually cry when I read. And I usually laugh when I read your stories (in a good way). The last one was an exception.

Lianne Lopes said...

Hey there! Thanks for commenting on my blog. :) And thanks also for the well wishes.

I sure hear you about the election thing. I'm in Iowa, so we've just been through all that. Got the phone calls, the surveys, even participated in making those calls for a day. Yuck! I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I did that, but I'm temping and I go where I'm told.

Melissa McClone said...

I watched a little town in NH cast their votes at midnight!

Here's me:

3 parts Creativity
2 parts Difance
1 part Seductiveness

Splash of Savvy

Limit yourself to one serving. This cocktail is strong!

I think I'll go add that to today's blog :)

anno said...

What a fun quiz! My recipe's added to my blog.

Can't quite get my daily Dakota fix. The wind and rain around here have bogged down the flow of bytes to a crawl.

Good luck with your edits!

Anonymous said...

Yep! She's a hunting dog. *g*

The Recipe For tori lennox

3 parts Passion
2 parts Panache
1 part Fun

Splash of Rebellion

Finish off with a little umbrella and straw


Oh, I like it!!!

Brandy said...

Good luck with the edits. As for the cover of your other, well, I like the cartoon character covers. *g*
Dakota looks so cute!
And I have to admit that I believe our state is next for a primary, so I will be avoiding answering the phone....wait, I already do that! *G*
Have a wonderful day!

Allie Boniface said...

That is so cool about the whole primary hustle & bustle!

Allie Boniface said...

P.S. I actually really like animated novel covers...

Alice said...

The Recipe for Alice:

3 parts Understanding
2 parts Intellect
1 part Power

Splash of Ingenuity

Finish off with whipped cream


I agree!! LOL.

Thanks for the Daily Dakota. I can't get enough of your beautiful dog!