Saturday, February 24, 2007

Book Value

A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy. ~ Edward P. Morgan

Brain dead. Must meme. I give you: The Saturday Special Meme

Book Value

1. Favorite Book You've Read?:

It's odd... but whenever I'm asked this question, I automatically go back in time to the books of my childhood. Do you suppose that's because the books I've read as an adult are forgettable or don't stand the test of time?

Books that have made an impression on me, to the point that I couldn't wait to share them with my daughter: Black Beauty (I've read this so many times I've lost count -- it is, by far, the most loved book in my possession), The Prydain Chronicles -- especially The High King, and A Wrinkle in Time.

2. Favorite Book Character?:

Again, I find myself drifting back. Strangely, one of the most memorable characters for my was Ozma from Ozma of Oz. I loved, Loved, LOVED the fact that she could change her head (and therefore her hair color and style and her eye color) every day. Apparently, even as a child I had issues with my looks because, despite that fact that she was evil, I wanted to be her just so I could change heads.

3. Favorite Book Genre?:

Romance of course. But I have a difficult time reading category. I like to have something else challenge me: a mystery, a vampire or whatever. One of the reasons I enjoy Dean Koontz novels is because, along with all that genetic manipulation (or whatever) there's always a romance that makes me sigh.

Still, I read pretty much anything. I have the latest Michael Palmer in my TBR pile, an old Dean Koontz that I've read a dozen times and a YA. Oh, and about forty romances -- but they're all suspense or paranormal.

4. Hardcover or Paper Back?:

No preference. I don't buy hardcovers because I can't afford them. If it's a book I'm dying to read (like "Innocent in Death" for instance) I'll check it out at the library to read and then buy it when it comes out in paperback. You won't find many hardcovers on my shelves, and the ones that are there were gifts, with the exception of "Don't Look Down", which I did splurge on when it came out. I'd forgotten about that until I glanced over at my bookshelf...
Anyone care to join me?

3 comments:

anno said...

Even though my B&N discount can sometimes get the price of new hardcovers close to that of a paperback, I still prefer paperbacks. They're easier to carry around, and they take up less shelf space (thus I can buy more of them without having to build a new house).

Who is ever happy with her hair? I always wanted straight blue-black hair like Diana in Anne of Green Gables. Or straight chestnut-brown hair like Honey in the Trixie Belden series. I think the emphasis was on straight... and on something besides the "blend-into-the-wall" coloring I was born with.

Does your daughter enjoy the same books you did? Mine seems determined to set her own course, rolling her eyes at any of my recommendations.

Anonymous said...

Hi Marianne;

Enjoyed your answers to Saturday Special. I too am an avid reader and enjoyed doing this week's meme myself. :)

Allie Boniface said...

OK:

1. Fave Book(s): It, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Atlas Shrugged, The Pact, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.

2. Fave Character: Couldn't possibly name one.

3. Fave Genre: Don't really have one; though I tend to read mainstream/women's lit.

4. Hardcover/Paperback: No preference, though paperback are easier to carry around and cheaper!