Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Coyote

Because I don't have enough to worry about, there have been reports of coyote attacks on dogs lately.

One sheltie was taken out of the front yard.

Granite State Dog Recovery reports another dog taken by coyote in Methuen, MA -- not THAT far from here (an hour's drive or so).

The news this morning reports that a nine-year-old girl was attacked by a coyote in her yard.

A few months ago, we had a coyote in our yard, in front and off the side on the edge of the woods. He was about five feet from the road and maybe 50 - 75 feet or so away from me (I was inside looking out the storm door).

He saw me and stopped moving. Just stared. I hadn't realized just how big they are -- he was easily as big as Dakota, if not bigger -- and completely unintimidated.

We hear the howling out back now and then. Not often; we hear foxes more. But as if it's not enough to worry about with the bear and the fisher cat ...

Apparently this is mating season for the coyote, which means they'll be a little more aggressive (especially the males) than usual. We also have snow on the ground, which means food (in the form of chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits, etc) is more scarce. The chippies and squirrels tend to hunker down and not come out once there's snow.

I can't imagine how it would feel to see your dog carried off by a coyote. Those poor people must be devastated.

I swear I feel like I'm in Little House in the Big Woods now and then.

====================




You Are a Hard Worker



You are thoughtful and responsible. It's rare that you find yourself in a bind.

You are naturally low energy. You have to nurture yourself in order to cultivate endurance.

When you get tired, you feel calm. You need to wear yourself out in order to be able to relax.

You are happiest when you reflect on what you have to be thankful for in your life. Happiness is a choice.



Mostly right.

1 comment:

Brandy said...

We have coyote here, too. Some have been spotted an hour or so away and it worries me, but we also have hawks out right now and I worry about them, too.

Please stay safe!