Monday, November 21, 2011

Weekend in Review...

Looong weekend here at the casa.

DD had a slumber party / birthday party Friday night into Saturday. It was for her BFF but things didn't go so well. Ah, the drama of childhood friendships...

You see, BFF had invited lots of people and there were 5 or 6 for the slumber party, one of whom was BFF's cousin. Well, BFF and cousin have known each other a long time (yanno, like their whole lives) and so ended up spending a lot of time talking and leaving DD alone with people she barely knew.

THEN the next day, when everyone showed up for the party, only one boy showed (several had RSVP'd) and he felt awkward, so BFF spent a lot of time trying to make him feel better. And the weather was deemed "too cold" to play outside, so many of the planned activities were canceled. Boredom ensued. As did much fussing and crying by BFF.

Drama, drama, drama.

Saturday night, DD sat with me for a bit talking and then said: when you spend a lot of time with someone, do they stop liking you?

And I responded: There's a saying "familiarity breeds contempt" which basically means that when you've been around someone for a long time, eventually you take them for granted. You figure they've been around for this long, they'll always be around, and lots of time you stop making the effort to keep the relationship strong.

It's true. And it's sad. Because you never know when that person won't be around anymore...

She'll recover and go on to have more heartache ... but it's hard to watch your kidlets get hurt.

Saturday afternoon, DH decided he HAD to take down pretty much the biggest tree at SIL's house. He did this on his own, because the time he decided to go was the time I had to stay to wait for DD to get home. No, I wasn't happy about it, but he's bigger than me, so I couldn't make him stay.

Sunday morning, DD and I got to spend helping DH haul all that wood out of the yard. Not only was the tree HUGE but it was way the heck back -- 200 yards maybe. So we'd pick up a piece, walk 200 yards, drop it, walk back and get another piece. Repeat 800 million times.

Then we got to load the truck, drive to our house, unload the truck and stack the wood.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

We started around 8:30 a.m. and finished around 1 p.m. at which time I decided that I needed to rake the leaves out of my flower gardens out front. The little garden that bisects my yard and my neighbor's is about two feet wide by 60 feet long. I didn't think there would be THAT many leaves. Boy was I wrong.

I raked his side first and got a pile about four feet around and two feet high. Had to rake that to the end of the sixty feet and into the woods. Then I did my side, which was wider and had about three times as many leaves. Un-freaking-believable.

Worse, we HAVE a leaf blower but it needs a new carbeurator. Had needed one for two years. DH won't buy a new blower because the part is only about $20 -- but I don't care how much it costs. It doesn't do me ANY good broken. If he doesn't fix it by spring, I'm going out and getting a new one myself. Because raking THAT many leaves that far is absurd.

I have blisters on my hands, and blisters on my feet. I couldn't sleep last night because everything on my body hurt and there was no such thing as a comfortable position.

And now that I've moaned and groaned, I feel like I wimp.

Today, I'm cooking a turkey for Dakota's food (yanno, I only make her food once every three weeks, and this is the second year in a row it's fallen the week of Thanksgiving. I need to work on that) and preparing to have DD and DH home again most of the week.

November is officially my least favorite month.

How was your weekend?

==========================




You Are a Siamese Cat



You are a very communicative creature. You're eager to express yourself - and do so often.

You are very dependent and love attention. You will complain if you are not getting enough affection.

Even though you are very loving, you can seem aloof, unpredictable, and stubborn in relationships.

A relationship with you takes a lot of patience.



50/50 ...

==================

4 comments:

Angelina Rain said...

Looks like you had a busy weekend. That's good. My weekend sucked! I spent the whole weekend over thinking my life and deciding that it's time to say goodbye to some people for good.

Dru said...

I'm tired reading about your weekend.

My weekend was quiet.

You Are a Persian Cat

You are very high-maintenance, at least as far as keeping up your appearance goes.

But you're surprisingly low-maintenance in every other aspect of your life.

You are peaceful and sweet tempered. People enjoy your company.

You are loving and a good companion, but it takes you a while to trust people.


75% true.

Have a great Monday.

Maria Zannini said...

It drives me insane when hubby puts off fixing things. Though to be fair, I've never allowed him to use his leaf blower when I'm home. Too loud.

Brandy said...

Wow, you worked hard this weekend! Why do hubbies put off fixing things? Drives me batty, too.
As for DD, well, being a girl is sure hard. And it's hard to watch them grow and learn.

You Are a Bengal Cat: You look wild, but deep down, you're really quite sweet.
You are curious about the world around you, and you love to explore.
You liked to swim and climb trees as a kid... and probably still do!
You are confident and energetic. You are ready to take on the world.

I did love to swim and climb trees to read a good book high above everything. *g*

I hope you have a nice evening!