Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Day Before Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Day is a jewel, to set in the hearts of honest men; but be careful that you do not take the day, and leave out the gratitude. ~E.P. Powell

Something happened yesterday that made me realize that sometimes things that aren't so good are things that we should give thanks for. I have a friend (:::waves:::) who has a dog with cancer. This dog was my dog, Bailey's, best friend and has morphed into Dakota's as well (though at first the dog was a bit hesitant: "What is this little yippy, jumpy, bitey thing you've brought to see me?").

We're all terribly sad to think of losing her, but grateful that things seem to be progressing very slowly. Yesterday, her owner knew something was wrong so took her to the vet, steeled to hear the worst. Instead, she discovered the dog had a kidney infection.

And we celebrated.

I told her that it felt strange to be all, "WOO HOO! She has a kidney infection!" but it was wonderful to know that her discomfort and need to potty so often wasn't a result of her cancer progressing.

I'm thankful that she's still around. Yesterday felt a little eerie to me, though, because three years ago, at this time of year, was when we lost Bailey.

So, sometimes it's good to be thankful for the not-so-good things.

What odd thing are you thankful for?

========================




You Are Cinnamon



You are warm and friendly. You are a social creature and a true extrovert.

You are welcoming, and you love to have people over to your place. You make everyone feel at home.

You are sweet, but you aren't overwhelming. You know how to be subtle with people. You have tact.

You love life, and people love to be around you. You are very popular without trying to be.



Hmmm... not so much.

===================

5 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Bone cancer is one of the worst. I hate it with all my being.

I know what you mean about celebrating a kidney infection. That's what cancer does to you. It makes you happy when you have anything else but that.

PS I would have liked to have met Bailey.

Marianne Arkins said...

Maria, our friend's dog has thyroid cancer -- in the last year she had an eye removed (cancer) and her thyroid removed (cancer). She's starting to sprout lumps (cancer), so it's only a matter of time.

Cancer sucks.

And, re: Bailey -- best dog ever. You would have liked her. I made myself cry all over again re-reading posts this morning. I miss her.

Brandy said...

Hugs Marianne.
Cancer is insidious and is truly awful, but I am glad your friends dogs cancer has not spread.


You Are Allspice
You are not as complex as you seem to others. You really just like to keep things simple.
People think you're something you're not. And you're getting a little sick of being misunderstood!
You enjoy the company of others, and you appreciate people from all walks of life. You love to learn about different points of view.
You seem familiar to strangers. People probably tell you that you remind them of someone else.

I hear that last line ALL THE TIME.

I hope you're having a blessed Wednesday!

Tori Lennox said...

Hate, hate, HATE cancer. :(

Dru said...

I'm glad there's a celebration and like everyone, I dislike cancer.