Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A Little Bit of That, a Pinch of That

“The secret of happiness is to count your blessings while others are adding up their troubles” - unknown

Storm update:

My family is truly blessed by the location of our home. There is flooding all around us -- the local K-Mart (about 1.5 miles down the road) and all the nearby roads and shops are underwater. My DH went up north to Lake Wentworth (where I set one of my upcoming short stories) to check out his uncle's lake house and his brother's lake house... both homes are okay, but the roads around his uncle's place are washed out.

My SIL (about half mile away) had her basement flood.

The news reports in excess of 65,000 homes without power.

Us? Aside from a sloppy wet lawn, we're fine and dandy. Amazing.

Writing update:

Seems as though a first round of edits is all the editor wants from me for my Vintage Rose story (set in 1948), "Miles From You". I'm taking one last look at it today and off it goes to be set up for release. Wow, that was fast!

I'm nearly done with the novella I'm writing, tentatively called "A Family Melody" - you'll see a word count tracking bar on my sidebar, if you're interested.

I'm also editing a completed novel, with the intent to submit it by late summer. I've included a tracking bar for that editing as well.

I got quite a bit done on both yesterday, which surprised me a little since I wasn't able to settle down well. Still, I'm not complaining!

Miscellaneous Rambling:

I've been all but house bound for three days, however... I'm getting the heck out of here today. I can't go north easily since the roads are closed all over the place, and I can't go to Bedford, since highway 101 washed out. That leaves Manchester. Maybe I'll hit the mall -- it's still raining, so it's not like I can get outside, darn it.

BTW, if you haven't entered my contest yet, what are you waiting for?

Melissa, I started "Marriage for Baby" last night. Finished chapter one... so far, so good!! Really, that's saying something because I haven't found a category romance that I've enjoyed enough to keep reading past chapter one in a long time. Thanks! I can't wait to get back to it.

Oh... something that excited me: Tori posted in her blog yesterday that there's a movie of Susan Cooper's "The Dark is Rising" coming out this fall! That was one of my absolute favorite series -- in fact, I purposely bought it in hardback a few years ago, so I could have it forever. I'm thrilled. If you haven't read these books, you should. The first one, "Over Sea, Under Stone" is technically the first, and not very strong IMHO. Probably, you should read it, but don't judge the series by it -- because once you hit book two... you'll be hooked.

I only hope that the movie does it justice.

What movies are you looking forward to?

5 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

The river gave our back yard back last night so I guess we're safe for now, but we couldn't get out of town yesterday if we wanted to. Glad you're safe and sound. Have fun in Manchester. I just hope that we have a full staff at work today.

Anonymous said...

Glad your house didn't flood.

Wow - you did great on your writing. I didn't get too much done yesterday, mainly because I had to change a few things in my story line.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys are relatively dry (or at least not flooded). Hang in there!

There aren't a lot of movies I'm really looking forward to, though The Dark is Rising would be on the list. I'm still waiting for Night at the Museum to show up on pay per view. I check the PPV listings almost every day so I can't believe I somehow missed it.

groovyoldlady said...

Ooo. I loved the "Dark" series. But, I always hate movies of books I love (yes, even including the LoTR movies) because the characters never look or sound like I pictured them.

Congrats on accomplishing so much yesterday!

Melissa McClone said...

Relieved you escaped the flooding.

WTG on getting lots done. Wish I could say the same. I'm in head pounding stage right now.

Glad you're enjoying the book. Hope it continues that way for you!