Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Good Earth

Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. ~ Lou Erickson

Yesterday, after shopping for my DD's birthday (she turns EIGHT on Tuesday -- how did this happen when she was only born last year?), I worked outside in my garden. I've found that gardening this year is the perfect example of living for the day but planning for the future. We may end up moving cross country at some point this summer, but it's not certain. Planting a vegetable garden that I may not be around to harvest seems a little silly - especially when you consider how labor intensive it is - BUT... what if I'm still here in August?

Anyway...

I tilled the garden by hand because, along with lots of rocks, I also cultivate earthworms. Two years ago, I bought a ton of them (the ones that were there just were multiplying enough to make me happy) and they seem to love the place. I swear, some of them are as big as snakes (which can make gardening quite the adventure).

Anyway...(and, yes, this is how I talk -- tired yet?)

I use a pitchfork to turn the garden so I don't chop up all my little friends. I emptied my composter, and was thrilled to see that, despite my lack of care, most of what I'd dumped in there had indeed become nice black dirt!

DD took complete advantage of the mess and sat in the newly loosened dirt, rubbing it all over any exposed skin. By the time she was done, her legs and arms had quite a "tan". Clearly, I'm not the kind of mom who worries about her little ones getting a bit dirty, LOL... Though I do wish I'd had my camera.

I was flat out exhausted by the time I finished. And yet, I had to carry the DD (all 85 pounds of her) upstairs to the shower so she wouldn't track her "tan" all over the house. I threatened to spray her off outside, but the water is barely above freezing and I'm not (quite) that cruel.

After all that exercise, I should have dropped a few pounds... However, I don't think I'm quite in this league (though I do like her sentiment):

You Are Most Like Liv Tyler

“I don't want to spend so much time obsessing about myself.”


And now, I need to go. Strangely, after stating publicly yesterday that I had no ideas for a short story, one popped into my head. I need to get it down before I forget it... So, I'm off to write.

Happy spring! And... have you entered my book giveaway yet? No? Why not??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got Liv Tyler too. Wonder if was that "natural look" makeup choice?

groovyoldlady said...

I also got Liv Taylor. I think she's the only one they've got in there!