Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Sprinkle

We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love. ~Author Unknown

Don't have a clue what I'm writing about today, so bear with me as a babble. I scrapbook in my spare time (this being the reason I'm almost a year behind... I should make it a priority instead of for "my spare time", of which I have none) and Creative Memories has a little packet of stickers with miscellaneous little things: paw prints, bubbles, confetti, etc. They call it "sprinkle". It's one of my favorite packs of stickers because it decorates your page and fills in the blank spots.

I'm dedicating todays blog to that pack of stickers, since that's essentially what I'm doing here. Bet you wish you lived closer so I could talk your ear off in person, huh? At least here, you can just stop reading and move on if you want. It won't hurt my feelings (*sniff*).

Anyway....

Last night I called a friend to whom I had given some bulbs from my garden. I told her that the container with the larger number of bulbs were the light pink lillies and the one with fewer were the orange.

I got off the phone and wondered if I should have said "less" instead of "fewer". Stupid, I know, but it's one of those things that bugs me... so I looked it up to refresh my memory, and thought I'd share with you.

From Guide to Grammar and Style:

Less versus Fewer.

They're easily confused, because they're both the opposite of more, but more has two meanings, one for a greater amount of stuff, the other for a greater number of things. Less means "not as much"; fewer means "not as many." Trust your ear: if you'd use "much," use "less"; if you'd use "many," use "fewer." You earn less money by selling fewer products; you use less oil but eat fewer fries. If you can count them, use fewer
.

That got my brain going on all that other stuff... you know: slander vs. libel (One's written and one's spoken, right? No, I don't remember which is which so I just never use them), imply and infer (these I do use, but I swear I have to look them up EVERY blasted time I do). I do have the whole "lay, lie" thing down thankfully, but sheesh... the English language is confusing.

I wrote a scene from my WIP yesterday. It was from a prompt in a mystery class I'm in and it felt great writing out of order. It was a scene I'd planned already, but it doesn't happen until about the middle of the book. I suppose I could have left it as a carrot to entice me to keep writing, but it really helped me enjoy writing in this particular WIP again. I think I did pretty well with it. I also think I'm going to write out of order some more. The romance class at WVU has some great ideas for scenes -- maybe even some I haven't thought of yet!

I got a bunch done with my editing, too... though I'm still not entirely happy with it. I think I need more emotion. I'm going to blast on through to the end, though, so that I can get my synopsis done, hopefully in time for that contest I talked about a million years ago (okay, last month, but who's counting?).

I'm taking my dog to the doggie doctor this morning for x-rays. She's been lame on her hind leg for several weeks. We've tried a couple different pain medications (one that she couldn't tolerate) and nothing has seemed to help. Poor baby can barely walk, and going up the stairs (which she does constantly, because she follows me around everywhere and we have two flights of stairs) is nearly impossible.

I'm dreading today though. She has to be knocked out - which at her age can be life threatening. AND she has to be gone all day. I'll miss her. I just hope they find out what's wrong and that it's easily fixable. I still want to keep her around for a couple more years (well, forever, actually, but I know that isn't going to happen, so I'll take what I can get).

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

3 comments:

Judy said...

When I was in Brazil, teaching English, it was a hoot... just because of what you were talking about.

One pet peeve I have with EFL/ESL (English as a Foreign Language/English as a Second Language) is that they have "changed" the rules. I realize that the new way of teaching reflects the way people talk today, but as an English major it really bothered me to teach "can" for "permission." In the courses I taught, "may" has fallen out of disfavor. I don't know if they make a distinction between "may" and "can" in American schools anymore... but in the EFL classes, "may" is a month and that's about it.

My poor kids are still haunted by their mother saying, "I don't know. Can you?"... at which point they would sigh a very large sigh and say, with exagerated patience, "May I so-and-so?" Ah, the power!!!

Anonymous said...

I always have trouble with "farther" and "further". English is HARD! And it's my native language! *g*

I hope you get good news on your dog!

Ceri Hebert said...

And I thought my father was the only one who did the "I don't know, can you?" thing (which I'm passing along to my kids).

Hope your dog is going to be alright. :(

aqiwpbr-any quail is wonderful prepared baked right