Thursday, July 06, 2006

Changing Names and Starting Anew

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~ William Wadsworth

Today I started working on all those wonderful pre-plotting exercises that I used for my SBCM on my finished WIP, Camilla's Critters. While doing the very first one (Give an overview of the plot--no more than 100 words that lets us see how the story will flow.) I came up with what I hope will be the permanent title for this book. For now, I'm going to refer to it as TPOF.

I'm starting from scratch, as though this WIP isn't finished. It's terribly weak and needs a complete overhaul. I'm planning on keeping the scenes I like, if they'll fit into the new and improved version, but otherwise I'm ditching it all. I'm doing new character profiles, new plot layers and conflict, new, New, NEW!

Woo-hoo!

I struggled through the last 30,000 words of this book and it's clear to me why (to me and no one else, because I haven't even shared with the wonderful ladies who nit and crit for me) -- so I'm going to fix it. But in order to do so, I need to re-brainstorm this book. Re-configure the conflict. Re-do the characters and consider eliminating two of them (that would be Danny and Joe, Camilla's twin brothers who don't contribute that much to the plot).

I'll be switching between TPOF and SBCM over the next few months and it'll be interesting to see if my brain will work that way. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Tori Lennox said...

Good luck on the new, improved project!!! :)