Thursday, July 13, 2006

Playing Catch Up

A good writer always works at the impossible. ~ John Steinbeck

I can't believe I'm quoting John Steinbeck because, well... I can't stand his work. Any of it. And being from California originally, I was force fed his books. Bleh. I remember my SIL asking my opinion on what "classic" novel she should have her homeschooled high school aged daughter read. I didn't like any of the options she gave me, but ultimately said "A Tale of Two Cities". Bleh again. Seriously.

I don't know what I'll do when my DD is high school aged and assigned the classics to read. I hated it so much, it's going to be hard to force her to read through them.

And, no, that wasn't what this post was going to be about, but it's one of my favorite things to rant about.

I spent quite a bit of time at the keyboard yesterday. As fortune would have it, my DD had an unexpected playdate at the neighbors house from around 11 a.m. to about 3 p.m. Yay for me!

I did discover the downside to having scene cards, though. I'm rushing again. Hurry to that plot point over there and then sprint to that one. What are the characters thinking? Feeling? Who cares!! Run, run, run!!!

I suspect that when I go back through the writing I did, I'll add a few thousand words just so that the reader can get inside my POV characters head a little. Everything is a bit distant right now.

Still, I managed to just barely catch up to my daily writing goal. My Excel word tracking spreadsheet now says "Way To Go" again instead of "Get On It". Man, I hate a nag.

An aside: I watched my TiVo'd episode of "The Closer" yesterday that was from Monday night. Man, I love that show. Really. Anyone watch it, or am I all alone? I mean, I've always felt a little strange in the blogosphere because I don't like "Lost" and I've never seen "Buffy" or "Serenity". Of course, I've always been a little off, so that's nothing new.

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Charity Tahmaseb said...

Rent Firefly and then watch Serenity. I do think you'll like it.