Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Baby, It's White Outside!

Spring, summer, and fall fill us with hope; winter alone reminds us of the human condition. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966

It snowed all day yesterday, tapering off late at night as the first of our two big storms passed. We got a good ten inches yesterday and they're expecting at least 12" more today.

Art classes were NOT canceled, however, so we headed out in the snow. About 2" of snow had already fallen by this time but most of the main roads were clear. I dropped DD off at the art center, but there was nowhere to park, even on the streets (which I may not have done anyway. The drifts have pushed out so far, when people park on the street there is barely room for even one car to drive through -- and it's meant for two cars going in opposite directions. That's just asking for someone to hit you). Her lessons last almost two hours, so I opted to drive home. The roads were already getting worse, though, so the drive back an hour later made me a nervous wreck. Thankfully people were driving sanely, for a change (with one exception: note to the guy driving the Nissan Pathfinder 50 MPH in the lane that wasn't really a lane in order to get past the line of cars going 30 MPH... you're an idiot and 4WD does not help you stop any better than the rest of us) so our trip was uneventful.

Even so, I had one doozy of a headache when I got home, probably due to being so tense in my shoulders while driving.

I'm SO ready for spring. I wonder how long it's going to take our mountains of snow to melt?

========================

I managed to write 255 words yesterday. I'm clinging to my goal by the skin of my teeth ...

========================




You Are a Green Cake



You are a highly sensitive person. You can't help but be keenly aware of the environment around you.

You are naturally quite spiritual. You find happiness from living a slower pace of life.

You take time to savor every moment... and that includes every bit of cake.

You are not confrontational or aggressive. You believe that everyone should be given space to do their own thing.



And again, no. The last couple of quizzes have been completely wrong.

==============

6 comments:

Dru said...

I rather have snow than the ice storm we're having now.

Kudos on your word count.

You Are a Blue Cake

You love to celebrate, but your favorite parties are chill and low key.

People love to be around you, and you love to be around people. You make others feel like they belong.

You are realistic and practical. You know that there are scenarios in which you can have your cake and eat it too!

You are a sincere, loyal, and supportive friend. Building real and deep relationships matters to you.
This is moderately accurate.

Have a warm Wednesday.

Allie Boniface said...

I know, don't you just love those idiots who think their cars somehow have magic powers in the snow? Um, no... Keep on keeping on with the writing!

Ceri Hebert said...

Reminds me of a night we were coming out of Boston during a snow storm like this. Guy going at least 65 in a big ol' white Escalade no headlights on. It was about 1am. I would have dearly loved to see him being pulled over by a cop!! Some people have no sense!

Speaking of no sense, I actually have to drive out in this miserable mess today!

Brandy said...

Some people don't have the sense God gave a gnat. That man could have hurt someone or himself. I hope y'all are safe and warm!

You Are a Brown Cake
You are a very down-to-earth person. You know what the good things in life are all about.
You are both affectionate and comforting. You take care of yourself and others.
You think that life has a purpose. You try to live well and with meaning.
You put your friends and family first. People are always more important than things.

Actually, that's pretty accurate.
I hope you have a good day despite the snow!

Tori Lennox said...

Somebody needs to force some happy pills down Mother Nature's throat!

Angelina Rain said...

We were hit with a blizzard here in Chicago too and believe me, I’m ready for spring too. Congrats on your writing. I’ve been sick all week so I haven’t written since Tuesday.