Tuesday, May 19, 2009

All Dressed Up...

The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it. ~Patrick Young

So, despite my precaution of checking the forecast for this week and finding nothing even CLOSE to freezing (and deciding it was safe to plant prior to Memorial Day)... I once again jinxed it. I can NOT plant early. I can't. Because last night, they amended our forecast and called for temps below freezing: FROST WARNING!

Well... shoot.

So, I did what any other sane gardener would do. I protected my babies. I had a lot to cover... but my biggest concern were my veggies. I pulled out the big guns (and was so thankful for tomato cages!!!). See:



I had NO idea I owned so many sheets, lol. I went to the linen closet and found FIVE SETS. Some, I've deliberately kept for drop clothes, etc., but I don't know why I have the others... do we need five sets of sheets? Really? (Actually if you count what are currently on the beds, we have eight sets).

The various soft annuals, like my impatiens, all got plastic bags over them. A funny -- Dakota is a very visual dog, moreso than any dog I've known. And, last night when I took her out for her last potty break, she trotted of the back steps and started to squat and then SAW THE BAGS. She got all poofed up and stiff-legged, growling and oofing. Funniest thing I've seen in a while. I may do stuff like that now and then just to mess with her. *G*

BTW, have you checked out the LASR spotlight this week? Because our guests are Charity and Darcy of "The Geek Girl's Guide To Cheerleading" fame and there's some great stuff. Charity tells us how to cook bacon and eggs in a paper bag, and Darcy dishes about getting her first tattoo... Go see! (And, as an added bonus, you can enter to win the book).

==========================

We have a bird (I've yet to ID it) that comes to visit daily -- she sits on the top railing of our deck and screeches for 5 or 10 minutes. It's cute, but I wish she had a sweeter voice.

Mr. Turkey hasn't been been back in some time, and I'm a little worried. It's turkey season here... I sure hope he's okay. I miss him :-(

Why do you suppose my woodpeckers prefer the seed in the feeder over the suet? It's very odd.

My milkweed is about a foot tall now -- I know we won't get Monarch butterbabies until end of June at the earliest, but I'm getting excited. Hope we have more than last year! (I will once again have milkweed seeds if anyone wants them -- I'd suggest putting them somewhere you don't mind if they spread. But monarch habitat is becoming scarce, so any help is good).

=========================



You Are Conditioner



You are naturally nurturing and calming. You smooth things over.

You can have a neutralizing effect. You can deal with chaos well.



You are encouraging and supportive. You have a gentle touch.

You are generous and bighearted. You have a lot to give.



Not so sure about that... IMHO, I'm kind of selfish, lol...

============================

7 comments:

Sarita Leone said...

I was concerned about your garden last night. We had a hard freeze here. Everything's white and crunchy this morning. I've had the potatoes and cabbage covered for a couple of nights now. I'm so hoping to be able to plant this weekend! fingers crossed!

Hope your veggies fared all right. :)

Jen said...

I'm guessing Mr. Bird is a grackle or starling. Lovely birds, those. ;-P

Frost sucks.

Brandy said...

We have a loud bird as well. I put out birdseed, he eats the cat food. *G* And will fuss at me if it's not full. Too weird. Sorry to hear about the Frost. It's been chilly here the past two days, too. While it might be normal for you, it's odd here.

Your quiz says I'm Shampoo: You are refreshing and cheerful. You don't hold on to a lot of baggage in life.
You are a true optimist. For you, every day is a fresh start.
You are confident and bold. You are proud of who you are, simple as that.
You are passionate about life and its possibilities. You don't hold back.

It was okay until the last half.

I hope you have a good day, minus the Frost.

Tori Lennox said...

I'm Conditioner too! And it fits me about as well as you thought it fit you. *g*

Dru said...

wow, those tomato cages are cool.

You Are Shampoo

You are refreshing and cheerful. You don't hold on to a lot of baggage in life.

You are a true optimist. For you, every day is a fresh start.

You are confident and bold. You are proud of who you are, simple as that.

You are passionate about life and its possibilities. You don't hold back.
This is moderately accurate.

Charity Tahmaseb said...

Well, we have some HOT weather here. My weather widget says 97 and it's almost 8:00 p.m.! Maybe we'll be sending it your way.

And we had fun with the LASR spotlight posts! Thanks for having us.

MomJane said...

I know this is just because I admitted my bathroom is dirty. It isn't the week to do my cleaning there. (Fly Lady work)


You Are Toilet Paper

You have a fearless spirit and an iron stomach.
You aren't easily grossed out, and you enjoy breaking taboos.

While you are wild, you are also helpful. You don't mind doing the dirty work.
You are persistent and thorough. When you do something, you make sure and get the job done.