Saturday, March 28, 2009

Making Dog Food

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. ~Fran Lebowitz

I'm sure this will get easier as time goes by, and that I won't end up spending the better part of a day on cooking Dakota's food. Today, though, I did.

It started with shopping. I went three places: Vitamin Shoppe, Petco and Sam's Club. And I came home with this:





As it turns out, I overbought by quite a bit. Hopefully the carrots and potatoes will keep until next weekend, when I'll do this all over again.

Next, we chopped and cooked.:





And cooked. And cooked. It took two hours for everything to be done. And then it had to cool. I put it in our winter refrigerator:



Finally, after another hour or two, it was time to puree and assemble.






And Dakota got a taste. She liked it... she really liked it. She followed us around for an hour afterward, hoping. She kept going back and licking her bowl. I think it was a hit.

Sadly, all that only made five days worth of food. I'm going for seven days next time. All I need to buy is meat, though. I have more than plenty of everything else.

====================

In other news, I figured out the sequel to "Kitchen Matches". I know, I know, I'm spread out all over the place in my writing, but this story suddenly hit me today while I was outside scooping poop (again). And, no, there is no poop involved. I even got the first line. And I know the heroine. And the hero -- it's Cori's eldest brother, Zack. And, it's going to be fun. And -- since I already know it's short (I'll shoot for about the same length as KM), it shouldn't take me long to write it.

We'll see.

Happy weekend!

=======================

4 comments:

Dru said...

Bravo on making your own dog food and I'm glad Dakota loved it. I was visualizing Dakota following you around with her tongue hanging out saying "more food, please".

That's great about the KM sequel.

Have a great weekend.

Sarita Leone said...

I'm so glad it worked out well and the food passed the taste test. Nice job!

Think it's great that you uncovered a new story when you were uncovering the lawn. *G* I look forward to reading it!

Hope all is well in your house and that life is much calmer than it was earlier this week. :)

Brandy said...

I'm glad everything worked out for making Dakota's food and that she liked it. I can just imagine her following you around. *G*
Yay on the sequel!

Have a wonderful Day!

groovyoldlady said...

You, my dear, are one devoted dog owner.

Seriously!

And now that it's today I read the quote you posted for yesterday and I almost spewed. Very funny!