Wednesday, January 07, 2009

My New Love

I am thankful for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.... I am thankful for the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby. ~Nancie J. Carmody

Last week, my old washer/dryer finally gave up the ghost. I've had that set (an apartment sized stackable) for nearly 15 years, and I loved it. It served me well. But in the last year, it began showing its age: the dryer didn't dry as efficiently, the washer sprung a leak. When the dryer began smoking ("be smart, don't start" - ha) we knew it was time.

We spent hours looking at appliances (and dragging DH away from the new flat screen TVs -- yes, our TV is ancient, too, but it works so we don't need a new one) and finally chose a set. Neither, DH nor I really like things with too many bells and whistles -- more things to malfunction. But we discovered there really aren't any simple washer/dryers out there any more. I wanted a front loader (less wear and tear on the clothes, more energy efficient) and that was really my only non-negotiable requirement.

As an aside, when we were reading reviews on various front loaders the two biggest complaints were: they didn't come in the right color (am I the only person who doesn't care what color my W/D are? ::rolls eyes::) and they got mildewy. The first didn't matter to me, and the second is easily resolved -- the salesguy told us, very clearly, you have to wipe down the rubber at the front of the machine and let it dry. So, I wipe down the rubber and leave the door cracked after washing.

Anyway, I just want to tell you... I love my new appliances. I can wash and dry a load of laundry in just over an hour. AN HOUR. Okay, for those of you who already have newer appliances, this may not seem earth shattering, but my other washer took 45 mins to wash, and when I bothered to use the dryer? 2 hours, minimum.

Maybe I shouldn't be so excited about appliances, but I just can't help it. It's how I'm made.

I watched an ad from J.C. Penney over the holidays about husbands who got sent to the "doghouse" for buying their wives sensible gifts (like vacuum cleaners). I got a new slow cooker from my DH for Christmas. The year before? Pampered Chef spatulas (and a frog for my collection). Before that? A carpet shampooer.

Why do I need diamond earrings? Give me sensible every day of the week.

====================

I have an interview up at Liana Laverentz's blog today. and I'm still writing and sharing my (rather slow) progress at the JaNoWriMo blog, if you're interested.

====================

8 comments:

Dru said...

You are so right about how hard it is to buy simple appliances / household items without the bells and whistles.

Do we get to see a picture of your new washer/dryer?

I know what you mean about sensible gifts, my friend gave me a Pampered Chef frying pan and I love it to pieces.

Going over to check out your interview.

Have a good Wednesday.

Ceri Hebert said...

I'm like a little poor hungry kid looking in the window of a fancy restaurant when people talk about their own washer and dryers. I'm not a big appliance person, but those are two things I'd nearly sell a kidney for. We used to have an set like your stackables but they aren't allowed in our apartment so we got rid of them. We have substandard washers and dryers in our basement but it's too creepy crawly down there and they don't work well.

Someday. I'll have my own washer and dryer someday.

MJFredrick said...

Oohhh....an hour! My appliances are at least 10 years old, but hobbling along. Maybe someday.....

Diane Craver said...

Glad you like your new washer and dryer. Great that you're saving time doing your laundry now!

love your quote - very true

Anonymous said...

We've had a front-loading w/d for about 11 years. I have never wiped down the rubber gasket or left the washer door open and we've had no problems with mildew.

Of course, it could be because I have two athletic boys who produce an obscene amount of laundry, so I'm using it all the time, but still.

I am longing for the full-size stackables because it means I can put a little mini coat closet/mud room thingy where my dryer is now. Instead of having to strip all the insulating gear off in the garage (which is NOT heated).

groovyoldlady said...

I think "sensible" gifts are wonderful! It's like adding to my tool collection.

I'm glad you like your new washer and dryer. I still look at my newish fridge and get that warm, fuzzy feeling of contentment.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new washer & dryer. My mom wants one of those spiffy front-loaders. Not that she'll be getting it any time soon, but even so. :)

Brandy said...

We bought front loaders two years ago and love them! Especially considering how much laundry I have.
I asked for a mixing bowl set from William-Sanoma one year and a mixer another year. Practical comes in handy!

Have a terrific day!