Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Brrrr....

I was just thinking, if it is really religion with these nudist colonies, they sure must turn atheists in the wintertime. ~Will Rogers

No guest blogger again -- I'm working on a slightly different more fun approach to featuring authors here. Not an interview as I don't love how those turn out, but something a little off the wall. That's assuming authors are willing to let me mess with them. Stay tuned. :-)

It's absurdly cold here right now, and only going to get colder. In fact, we've stopped using our wood stove to heat (which makes me want to cry, because it keeps it WAY warmer than we'd ever set our oil heat) and have started back to our oil heat because we're afraid the pipes will freeze if we don't. It's expected to get down to -11 degrees overnight Thursday. Whee. I'm telling you, Hawaii ... here I come.

Had a brainstorm on "Return to Stiller Creek" and am writing up a couple of news scenes. Then I'm submitting it to a new publisher -- I've done research, and all I've seen are rave reviews, including from Piers Anthony (what a sweetie he is to compile all that information, don't you think?). I'll do a little more poking around, but the simple fact is: I want this in print eventually and TWRP has changed their guidelines and only sends books 65k words or longer to print, so I can't submit it there.

Once those scenes are done, it's back to hunkering down on one or both of my JaNoWriMo projects.

===================

Dakota went to the doggy doc yesterday for her annual check-up and shots. We talked at great length about her dietary issues, and the doc is concerned about (WARNING: TALK OF DOG POOP AHEAD) the fact she eats so much (6-7 cups of dry food a day), and then poops about 8-10 times a day (pretty much every time she goes outside to potty) and is STILL skinny (he says she's at her "ideal" weight, but IMHO she looks like a concentration camp escapee). So, in two weeks we're doing tests to see if she's lacking a particular digestive enzyme which would cause her body to be incapable of breaking down the food--making it pretty much just pass on through.

And THEN I get to put her on some kind of diet plan that includes unusual proteins and starches -- like venison and sweet potato that doesn't include ANY other type of common foods like chicken meal, and no grains such as wheat, barley, rice, or corn.

*sigh*

The joys of dog ownership. My DD is healthy as a horse, but I get a dog with food allergies and problems.

It's a good thing she's cute.

=========================



You Are a Hat With Flaps



You are fun loving, cheerful, and even pretty cute most of the time.

You use fashion to play. You never take style all that seriously.

You're the type most likely to wear a funny t-shirt or goofy hat.

But when it comes time to clean up, you clean up nicely.



It's good to know I clean up nice! LOL...

====================

11 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

You Are a Ski Cap

You are a comfortable, low maintenance, and even practical person.
You use fashion to look good, and you don't stray too far from the mainstream.

You are friendly and accepting. You don't really judge other people for their fashion choices.
You enjoy clothes and accessories as much as the next person, but you're not superficial about it!


Yeah, actually that's about as close as I've seen it.

I'm NOT looking forward to the deep freeze we're about to enter. And I'm starting to get a cough again.

So, who's the new publisher? Is it a secret??

Poor Dd. Hope the new diet helps out.

Sarita Leone said...

It is freezing here. Ugh.

Hope the little furry one is all right. Sending good thoughts!

MomJane said...

I feel so badly for you. Even after all these years, you are still a California girl. And I didn't read your blog until I posted mine, bragging about the 76 degree weather here. I wasn't trying to make you feel worse. Sorry.

Sorry about DD too. Its so difficult to have a sick child or dog. Take care.

Dru said...

Yeah, we're getting that deep freeze here too, but not as bad as you're getting.

Good luck with your submissions.

Poor Dakota. I hope things work out for her.


You Are a Ski Cap

You are a comfortable, low maintenance, and even practical person.

You use fashion to look good, and you don't stray too far from the mainstream.

You are friendly and accepting. You don't really judge other people for their fashion choices.

You enjoy clothes and accessories as much as the next person, but you're not superficial about it!


Yeah, pretty accurate.

Have a good Wednesday.

Melissa McClone said...

I hope they figure out if somethings going on with Dakota. Poor puppy.

Good luck with your JaNo writing today!

Anonymous said...

I studied pet nutrition in depth in college. Poor Dakota! Food sensitivities aren't that uncommon. Both of my dogs have them and I've just decided that to make life easy and the pups feel good (future pups included here), I'm just going to always forgo corn and wheat laden food. They're the two most common ingredients that cause issues.

8-10 cups of food seems like A LOT to me. If she is missing an enzyme, she'll probably chunk up on that quantity once she's better.

Anonymous said...

Sorry! 6-7 cups is still a lot of food, unless Dakota turned into a Great Dane over night!

Pooping 8-10 times a day does sound like a digestive issue.

Charity Tahmaseb said...

Well, it was a balmy -7 this morning, compared to the -23 it was yesterday morning (w/o wind chill).

By Sunday, we'll be at 29 degress (without the minus). People will be walking around without their coats it will be so warm here.

Brandy said...

It's chilly here, but no where near your temperatures expected. Poor Dakota. We have a cat with allergies, but they are skin orientated. I hope the Vet figures out how to help her.

You are a Newsboy:
You are a quick thinking, forward looking, and even revolutionary person.
You use fashion to project a powerful and chic image.
You like to experiment with new ideas, looks, and even lifestyles.
People may try to label you, but it's impossible. You draw inspiration from many subcultures.


HAHAHAHAHA! I don't think the sweats and long sleeve tee I'm wearing qualifies me for this. *G* So, SO wrong. *G*

I hope you have an exceptional day and stay warm!

Anonymous said...

I'm a ski cap too!

Allie Boniface said...

Which publisher?? And yeah, I love Piers Anthony too.