Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Tuesday Tidbits

What do they think I am? Dumb or something? Why, I make more money than - than - than Calvin Coolidge! Put together! - Lina Lamont in "Singing in the Rain"

Quiet day yesterday. It was nice... didn't get as much done as I would have liked, but even so it was relatively without drama. So it's all good :-)

Brandy asked if anyone nearby had an abundant tomato crop to share. My SIL is getting a few, and she brought me four on Sunday. They were yummy... but I'm still sad I can't make sauce. Between the deer coming and chomping them down to only a few inches in June, and the lack of water and high heat, etc., my poor plants are pathetic. DH is going to rig some kind of ongoing watering system for me next year, because going out once a day to water just wasn't enough.

Brandy also mentioned that her summer squash plants were thriving and then just up and died... this happened to me once a few years ago, and it was conveniently when my friend, Michele, to visit. SHE told me it was squash vine borers -- something I'd never heard of. She was right.

Brandy, if your squash plants wilted for a few days before they just died, if, when you pulled up the plants it looked like their stumps had rotted or were spiderwebbed and not solid, you probably had squash borers.

Since then, we look for the moths and kill them on sight. Here's what the moth looks like:



And if we see "frass" (it looks like wet sawdust) at the base of our squash vines, we'll use a knife to dig a hole into it and spray Neem or Pyrethrin spray until it's soaked then wrap it in old pantyhose or bury it in dirt... that may be why the old-time gardeners would mound dirt around the base of their squash plants as they grow -- it helps defend against the buggers.

I watched "Singing in the Rain" with DD yesterday -- I'd promised her a movie -- and I'll leave you with her favorite song because it always make me smile. I tried embedding it, but everyone decent has embedding disabled -- that really annoys me. *sigh*

Anyway ... Have a great day :-)

=================




You Are Wise



You are a prudent and rational person. You try not to do anything you regret, and if you do, you learn form your mistake.

You are educated or at the very least knowledgeable. You have a perception that most people lack.

You've learned to be vigilant in your life. You are pretty much always on guard.

No matter how old you actually are, you are quite seasoned. You are experienced and worldly.



Mostly right.

===================

3 comments:

Sarita Leone said...

I love that song, too.

So glad to hear you had a peaceful day. That's what I'm looking for today. I hope I find it!

Dru said...

Singing in the Rain is one of my favorite movies. I'll have to wait till I get home to see what's DD's favorite song.

re quiz: same as your and it is mostly correct.

Have a good Tuesday.

Brandy said...

Thank you for the information on the reason my squash plant died. It did this last year, too. I'll remember the advice for next year. I do know the thickest stem closest to the grown turned yellow and then almost a sickly white. And yes, it wilted before outright dying. We just thought it was because the heat has been ghastly here.

Donald O'Connor was an awesome comedian/actor. I don't think there's anyone comparable to him today. I enjoyed him in There's No Business Like Show Business with Ethyl Mermen.

My quiz results were the same as yours and Dru's. It's about 80% correct.

I hope you're having a sensational day!