Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Drama, drama, drama

Adolescence is perhaps nature's way of preparing parents to welcome the empty nest. ~Karen Savage and Patricia Adams, The Good Stepmother

I'm sitting here smelling eau du skunk this a.m. -- a few minutes ago, Dakota was "oofing" (her quiet bark) and now I smell this lovely odor. Don't worry, she is inside, but I wonder if she saw something get skunked? Is it evil and wrong that I hope it was my neighbor's nasty little schnauzer that they let run loose all the time?

We had a good day yesterday, celebrating Mom's birthday. Busy but fun, started with a road trip to Trader Joes and it ended with a seafood meal, so what's not to like?

DD did have a complete breakdown again last night. She has terrible self-esteem, and I truly don't understand why. "I'm ugly, I'm stupid, I'm fat, I can't do anything right, everyone yells at me all the time." And copious amounts of tears.

I suspect her problems about her appearance are coming up because of school. I've already promised her a new haircut and a manicure. I think we might do that today. Of course, that means I'll have to get her a new manicure right before school starts. We'll see... she also needs new glasses. So, I'm making an appointment for that today, too. Hers are kid sized, and she really needs to have grown up sized frames now.

I swear, I'm not going to survive the teenaged years. Or she isn't. One or the other... it's all drama, all the time.

In other news, she named the smallest of our indoor tomato worms ... I think it was because I kept trying to get rid of him and this was her way of making sure I didn't. His name is Bob. I joked and said the other four (they're all about the same size, so I can't tell them apart) should be Larry, Darryl, Darryl and Darryl.



Ignore the fact that whoever posted that video can't spell, please...

And so, another day filled with work and drama begins. :-)

Hope you have a great day!

=====================




You Are a Dreamer



People usually totally love you or totally hate you. You are extremely intense.

You aspire to great things. You dream big, and you have the self-confidence to make your dreams come true.

You are a total brainiac who enjoys learning new things. You think studying is just plain fun.

You try not to go overboard on anything. You are down to earth, and you aren't easily swayed by emotions.




Um... hmmmm.... this is almost completely right.

=======================

5 comments:

Sarita Leone said...

I'm so glad your mom had a nice birthday. It sounds like you all enjoyed yourselves.

But the drama. Oh, I'm sorry. If only your DD could see herself from a different perspective, through others' eyes. We all see her as smart, funny, kind, compassionate, beautiful... I could go on. But you know what? A manicure always makes me feel better. Maybe it'll do the job for her, too. And you. Why not a mother/daughter beauty stop?

I hope your day is peaceful.

Dru said...

I'm glad your mom had a good birthday outing.

Sorry about DD. I hope the manicure gives her pleasure.

You Are Tranquil

You are innocent and simple in your approach to life. You don't know why people complicate things.

You are patient and tranquil. You are willing to wait for the good stuff.

At times you're stubborn, but you're also willing to roll with the punches.

You are a unifying force. You always emphasize points of agreement and harmony.


This is accurate.

Have a good Wednesday.

Brandy said...

Glad to hear your Mom's birthday went well!
As for your DD, the teenage years are so hard. I wouldn't go back to that age for anything in the world. I wish I had some words that would help, but my Daughter is the opposite, if she has any doubts or dislikes about herself she internalizes them. Hugs to you. And to DD.

You Are Cheerful: You are a free spirit, but deep down you are reliable and trustworthy. You honor your commitments.
You are practical and matter-of-fact. You prefer to take the pragmatic approach.
You believe in yourself and the people around you. You know that others can always surprise you.
You are a positive thinker and a true optimist. You believe in filling your life with good things.

This is freakishly close to being 100%.

I hope you have a marvelous day!

Maria Zannini said...

Belated birthday greetings to your mom!

Ref: drama
Okay, you are missing a HUGE opportunity. I can see the t-shirt now and it says:

TEENAGERS
All the drama.
All the time.

Driving parents crazy since time immemorial.

Tori Lennox said...

I'm glad your mom had a good birthday! And hugs to you AND DD.

LOL! I love Larry, Daryl, and Daryl!