Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Heritage Veggies

High-tech tomatoes. Mysterious milk. Supersquash. Are we supposed to eat this stuff? Or is it going to eat us? ~Annita Manning

Thanks for all the well wishes yesterday -- DH and I actually spent almost no time together (thanks to his EDJ), but even so it was a good day. Maybe we'll do something this weekend.

I ate an orange tomato yesterday. Yes, it was supposed to be orange -- it was from one of my heritage tomato vines I planted, and let me tell you, it was one of the BEST tomatoes I've ever eaten. Last year I got yellow tomatoes, and those were incredible, too... heritage plants don't produce as much as the hybrid, boring red tomatoes most folks grow, but the payoff is so worth it. I always plant a least a few of them in my garden.

Dakota has been scratching and chewing herself like crazy the past couple of days, to the point where hair is coming off in clumps (this dog doesn't have an undercoat and rarely sheds much). On Saturday, I gave her a bath after playing at the dog park and used new shampoo, so I thought maybe that was the problem (though the scratching didn't start until Monday). Yesterday we bathed her again, in the medicated shampoo we've used before, but she's still itchy. And, no, it's not fleas.

I hate trying to figure out what's wrong with her. We'd also gotten new treats on Monday, but I read the ingredients, and there didn't seem to be anything unusual. Still, we're not feeding them to her for a few days to see if that makes her stop.

Otherwise, it's pretty much same old, same old here.

Anything new with you?

========================




Your Thoughts Are Constructive



You are a highly analytical person, and you tend to sit back and cooly assess a situation.

With you, logic and facts rule. And you never jump to conclusions.

You are always looking to think in new ways. You believe that reflecting is a good way to better yourself.

You tend to think before you talk or act. You are calmer than most people around you.



Mostly right, though I've often said to my friends that it's a GOOD thing I don't have thought bubbles over my head, because I do think before I speak and frequently don't say the first thing that pops into my mind...

======================

3 comments:

groovyoldlady said...

Oooo. Doggy skin issues are no fun, though they're better than doggy digestive issues. I hope you figure out the problem soon.

Maria Zannini said...

Is it possible the city might have sprayed the dog park with insecticide or weed killer?

I have a friend whose dog vomits whenever the landscaper sprays their yard.

Dogs with sensitive skin are hard to treat too. I had a little mutt with contact dermatitis and I used to use Aveeno soap on her.

In severe cases, the vet might have to treat it with Prednisone to relieve the itching.

Poor Dakota. Ice packs might help too.

Brandy said...

Oh, no, Poor Dakota! I hope she finds relief soon. Can she take oatmeal baths like humans?
I'll admit I've never eaten an heirloom tomato, but you're making me curious.

My results were the same as yours. I'd say it's about 50/50.

Hope you have a great day!