Thursday, August 05, 2010

Drama in Pillar Place

Never say, "oops." Always say, "Ah, interesting." ~Author Unknown

Thanks for your input yesterday -- I'm going to write to Cigna and see what happens. I'm going to suggest that they toss in some flower seeds (I'll even provide them -- I have PILES of dead head/seeds from several butterfly friendly flowers) and become a certified Monarch Waystation. They'll have a cool sign they can post and be listed on the Monarch Watch website.

We had two more successful releases in Pillar Place: Monarch yesterday: 2 more boys. They were lovely. We've seen a few monarchs fluttering around the past few days. We wave. *G*

Also in Pillar Place, we had one small problem that will hopefully end up being no problem at all. One of our "J" pillars from yesterday, Thomas, had some issues shedding his skin and ended up falling off the roof of his box. I remember a couple years ago this happened, and I tried to glue the chrysalis to the roof, but the pupa died almost immediately -- probably from my handling.

This time, I've let the pupa lay on the floor of his box overnight. It hasn't turned black, so it's not dead, and the shell around him has hardened. I've read that they can be handled successfully (if you're careful) once the exterior is hard. So, today I'm going try to reattach him to the roof. I'm not sure how yet -- he doesn't have much of a "stem" so I don't know if I want to glue him because the glue will get onto the chrysalis.

Oh the drama. Now, with my luck, he'll hatch deformed and DD will want to keep him as a pet.

========================

It's hot here, in case anyone wondered. Really hot. I'm dying. My life for air conditioning ...

========================



You Are Charming



You are quite stylish and unique. You have a flair for living well.

You have a bit of attitude, but you're definitely not stuck up. You know how to let loose and have fun.

You are well liked and a total people person. You are almost always at ease in a crowd.

You are a huge lover of life and all it has to offer. You're proud of who you are, but you never brag.



About 25% correct...

===================

5 comments:

Dru said...

Can you use tweezers to pick up the pupa?

You Are Solid

You are laid back and easygoing. You don't like to make too big of a fuss.

Like everyone else, you have your tastes and preferences... you're just more flexible than most people.

You are good at compromising, and you get along with all sorts of folks. You are a natural diplomat.

You try to make things as easy on others as possible. You know that life can be a drag, so why make it worse for someone else?


It is too scary how accuate these quizzes can be.

Have a good Thursday.

Maria Zannini said...

Ref: handling/tweezers

...or surgical gloves

Though I imagine this must happen in nature all the time. Maybe lying on the floor isn't ideal but still survivable.

Good luck to Thomas.

Diane Craver said...

Marianne,
I got the same thing you did when I took the quiz, but I wouldn't say I'm at ease in a crowd. But some it true.

Tori Lennox said...

I hope Cigna steps up to the plate!

Brandy said...

Crossing my fingers that Signa does the right thing. And yes, the heat is awful here as well.

According to the quiz I am Solid, too. And it fits. *g*

I hope you've had a nice day.