Monday, August 16, 2010

A Cool Tool for Writers

The only reason why we ask other people how their weekend was is so we can tell them about our own weekend. ~Chuck Palahniuk

Hey all ... the other day I got a Google alert on my print book, "One Love For Liv". It was from a site called NovelRank, and they provide free tracking of your Amazon sales and sales rank.

I added all my books and eBooks that are available via Amazon (not many, actually -- The Wild Rose Press doesn't have them up, so it's only my Samhain releases) and have been watching them. It's interesting, and the books don't have to be yours for you to add. I added a couple from some NYT authors, just to see their sales (yes, I'm snoopy).

You can also follow the RSS feed for a particular book to receive updates on sales. It's very cool. And a little addicting.

If you're an author, you should give it a try. And, heck, if you're just a snoopy reader (like me!) you should check out some of your favorite author's sales, just because you can. *G*

========================

Had a very, very busy weekend. Did lots of gardening -- I moved three fairly large Rose of Sharon bushes to a new garden DH wanted me to make around our chimney. It's fairly dry there, the sprinklers don't hit it, and the grass doesn't grow. Rose of Sharon don't mind sun or drought for the most part, so once their roots are settled, they should do fine. I did use Soil Moist to get them started though and will be going to the store today for a few bags of mulch. I moved several other shorter plants there as well to fill in the spots: seedum, phlox, gallardia, portulaca. And I'm going to pick up some more stuff on sale at the store today. Technically, our gardening season is over, and all the nurseries have their stock marked down 50% or more, so I should be able to get stuff at a steal.

========================

DD bought swim fins last week to use while swimming in the lake. She very carefully looked to make sure the package said that they floated before she bought them (with her own money that she's been earning taking care of other people's dogs at agility).

Saturday, she jumped into the lake, grabbed a fin to put it on and lost hold of it ... and it sunk like a rock in what my DH's fish finder said was about sixty feet of water.

Today, I get to take the remaining fin back to The Sports Authority where she bought them and get a refund. We'll see how customer service oriented they are ... IMHO, since the package says they float, and they clearly don't, they should give us a refund, or at the very least a store credit.

Poor DD was devastated. She doesn't really get an allowance from us, and she doesn't have rich grandparents throwing money at her for every occasion (like one of her friends -- "It's Flag Day? Have $20!"). She works hard for every dollar. So the thought of losing so much money crushed her. TSA better step up.

=====================




You Are a Black Pen



You are personally conservative and adverse to taking risks. You prefer to do things the conventional way.

Of course you have your own personal flair, but you tend to keep it under wraps. You're very professional.

You are very concerned about your own image, and you like to be as polished as possible.

You have always been quite mature for your age. You grew up quickly and embraced adulthood early.



Pretty close, except this part: You are very concerned about your own image, and you like to be as polished as possible ... HAHAHAHAHA... no.

======================

10 comments:

MJFredrick said...

Apparently I sell no books on Amazon :(

Good luck with Sports Authority!

Ceri Hebert said...

I'm afraid to look...... This week I really want to work on my webpage. I'm going to check out that program you told me about.

Good luck with SA today. They should give a full refund! My son found a pair at the recycling center and he loves them, but he doesn't swim in such deep water.

Marianne Arkins said...

Mary, It will only start tracking from the time you put it in... so past sales won't show. Give it time!

Ceri, our transfer station doesn't allow people to "pick", which I HATE. Let me know if you need any help with the new software.

MJFredrick said...

Whew! I was pretty depressed there :)

Dru said...

That's a cool site...will have to explore later.

I don't think DD should have any problems getting a refund or credit.

re quiz: I'm a black pen and the line about the image does not reflect me at all.

Have a great Monday.

Maria Zannini said...

I've never heard of Soil Moist. Sounds interesting.

Ref: Rose Of Sharon

We have a very large one out in front and you are right. When it comes to hot and dry conditions, it does great.

The landscapers really knew what they were doing when they planned the plot. --Which is good because I would have been clueless in this new zone.

MomJane said...

You Are a Blue Pen
You are friendly, easy going, and very willing to compromise.
You are very open to making new connections, and you are an optimist.

You stay away from drama and chaos. If there isn't peace, you can't be happy.
You are sensitive and easily effected by the world around you. You prefer to be near other positive people.

I hope she gets her money back. Poor thing. she tries so hard to be frugal and this has to hurt.

groovyoldlady said...

The writing conference was fabulous. Our keynote speaker was Cecil Murphy who ghost wrote Franklin Graham's "Rebel With a Cause" and, more recently, "90 Minutes in Heaven" with Don Piper. He has well over 100 published books and actually LIVES off his earnings as a writer. He. Was/is. Amazing.

I also got to read part of one of my NaNo YA novels and the response was overwhelmingly positive. I am now quite motivated to get my first draft FINISHED.

:-D

Now to work on a writing schedule so that I follow-through and actually, ya know, WRITE.

I hope you get the refund! (Push for it!)

Brandy said...

I'll have to look up what a Rose of Sharon is, though it sounds lovely.
As for your Daughter? She should definitely get a refund. The package stated they float and therefore should be honored.

I am a Black Pen as well, and no, the phrase about image does not suit. Especially since I'm sitting here in yoga capris and a tank top! *G*

Hope you're having a pleasing day!

Tori Lennox said...

That IS a cool tool!