Monday, July 19, 2010

Stuff(ed Up) and Nonsense

Physical ills are the taxes laid upon this wretched life; some are taxed higher, and some lower, but all pay something. ~Lord Chesterfield

Thanks for the kind wishes yesterday. I won't say I feel better today -- in fact, health-wise, I'm probably worse (stuffed up, coughing), but at least I'm somewhat alert. Yesterday morning I was flat out exhausted. I'm hoping today is my "bad day", the hump you have to get over before you get better. My family and I are pretty healthy, typically, so when we do get sick it comes and goes quickly.

We're still praying for some real rain here. Haven't had any significant rainfall in our town in several weeks, and though they're predicting thunderstorms this afternoon (and I'm glad for what we get ... I AM), there's no "rain" on the forecast for the next two weeks.

I've been lax about getting outside and doing much of anything lately because of the heat. I'll do quick 5 - 10 minute forays, maybe weed a bit, and then back in. As a result, I've forgotten to put my milorganite down in the veggie garden. And yesterday, I paid for it.

My tomatoes that I said were as tall as DD? Not anymore. Deer came and munched them all down. Most are *maybe* two feet tall, some are even shorter. And, with the except of DD's Sweet 100s, he got them ALL.

*sigh*

Last night I was upstairs reading and DH ran in: "Did you put your milorganite down?"

"Yes, why?"

"The deer just walked out of our backyard and across the street."

I haven't looked yet this morning, but I hope it worked. I don't have many tomatoes left!

Speaking of wildlife, it appears we have a feral cat living in our backyard. We've seen it off and on, but assumed it lived with someone and was just visiting because of the bird feeders -- we have LOTS of birds, chipmunks and red squirrels, a kitty buffet. It's gorgeous looking, a gray tabby with white paws, but yesterday DD saw it climb under one of our brush piles. And then, early this morning I saw him lurking under DH's snowmobile trailer, which is parked out back for the summer.

Poor kitty.

I'm going to keep a lookout, and if we keep seeing him, I'm going to set a trap and see if I can catch him. It's no life for him to be out there -- especially in the winter. I wonder if folks are just leaving their pets behind if they have to move? We won't be able to keep him, no matter what -- DH is not a cat fan -- but I can get it to the shelter.

I've been tending my SILs garden for her this week and discovered that she has squash borer worms. The base of two of her squash plants is split and has "frass" coming out (looks like wet wood pulp). So, I dug into it a bit, and spraying my poison (BTW, for those of you who know I prefer organic gardening ... this "poison" is actually an organic pesticide of sorts and doesn't kill beneficial bugs, except bees so I keep it off the flowers. It doesn't harm mammals either.) into the slash. I don't know if it killed the wormies, but I can hope.

So far, I haven't seen that on mine, though I need to go out and saturate the nylons on mine with that stuff again.

And that is my exciting life. How's yours?

====================



You Are Mushrooms



You are down to earth and practical. You appreciate hearty foods and people.

You are very grounded. You aren't unnecessarily fanciful, and you appreciate the little things in life.



You are in tune with nature and the world around you. You appreciate the outdoors and animals.

You are likely very handy and good at doing things yourself. You're the type most likely to make your own pizza.



Okay... it's always a little freaky when they nail me on these quizzes.

================

5 comments:

Dru said...

I'm glad you're feeling better.

Bummer about your tomatoes. I hope the milorganite last night saved more of your plants from the deer.

re quiz: same as yours..all is true except last line.

Other than that life is good, except I have doctor's appt every day this week.

Have a good Monday.

Maria Zannini said...

You seem awfully busy for someone who's been so sick.

Forget the garden and rest.

**
I've had my head buried in edits this week. Not exciting but it was productive.

Anonymous said...

My life isn't nearly as exciting as yours! :-) We're hoping for rain here too. Got about three drops last night but that was it. So far, our monsoon season has been a B-U-S-T!

Brandy said...

We keep getting thunderstorms here that don't give much rain beyond a few drops.

I hope your tomato plants are safe and growing again today.

Poor feral kitty. That happens a lot here. And we've trapped several and taken them to the shelter. Shelters are becoming overwhelmed because of the high increase of owner abandonment and turn-ins, all because of the economy. I hope your feral kitty get a chance at happiness.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well again today. I hope whatever you have passes quickly.

Have a good day!

Tori Lennox said...

Hugs!!! Summer colds suck.

The heat this summer is horrid!!!

You Are Pepperoni
You are well liked and popular. You know how to be yourself, and people appreciate that.
You are extremely easy to get along with, but you don't change for anyone. You're unique and proud of it.

You enjoy being the center of attention. When other people are around, you are always on.
You don't like to compromise. You have a dominant personality, and luckily, you're likely to get your way.


Ooo, that's not wholly accurate, I'm afraid.