Saturday, July 17, 2010

Nothing To See Here ....

Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend. ~Zenna Scha

Nothing new here. It's hot, we have pillars (found yet another new one yesterday ... sheesh. We named him Quentin, since the hurricanes don't have a "Q" name.), my garden loves the weather (even though I don't), I'm already giving cucumbers away (we eat 1 - 2 a day and are harvesting twice that).

I did spray and dress my squash yesterday. I also squished a squash borer moth, little bugger. Hopefully I put the nylons on my squash in time, but I plan to saturate the socks with that poison regularly, so if eggs DO hatch underneath, the worms should die before they can do damage.

I actually harvested three squash -- but I can't have too much squash. Unlike cucumbers, I can freeze squash. You can only eat so many pickles.

In any case, that's all for now. A boring weekend (no, I'm not complaining... there's nothing wrong with boring!) and not a lot to say.

Have a great weekend!

=====================




You Are an Intense Person



You are thoughtful and responsible. It's rare that you find yourself in a bind.

You are naturally low energy. You have to nurture yourself in order to cultivate endurance.

When you get tired, you slow down at first... but then you usually get a second wind.

You are happiest when you reflect on what you have to be thankful for in your life. Happiness is a choice.



Mostly right :-)

======================

8 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

Just visited my garden (which is at my mom's) and couldn't believe how it's flourishing! We had 8 tomato plants which nearly died due to frost earlier in the year. Almost dug them up, but she left them and now they're enormous. We're going to have tomatoes galore! And our pumpkins are taking over the yard! It's great! The only thing that isn't really doing well this year is our peas.

Tori Lennox said...

Boring does not always equal bad. :)

Dru said...

You Are a Hard Worker

You are thoughtful and responsible. It's rare that you find yourself in a bind.

You are naturally low energy. You have to nurture yourself in order to cultivate endurance.

When you get tired, you slow down at first... but then you usually get a second wind!

You are happiest when you reflect on what you have to be thankful for in your life. Happiness is a choice.


that might be me

Brandy said...

We've discovered ground hornets in our garden near the strawberry plant. We're not sure how to get rid of them, but are going to try a couple of things this weekend. Our tomatoes are taking forever to turn red this year, too.

Boring is not bad. I prefer boring because exciting usually causes trouble. *g*
As for your quiz:
You Are an Optimist
You are thoughtful and responsible. It's rare that you find yourself in a bind.
You tend to push yourself to the limit. You don't stop unless you absolutely have to.
When you get tired, you slow down at first... but then you usually get a second wind!
You are happiest when you've reached an important goal or milestone. You like to feel like your life is progressing.

Wow, this is right on!

I hope you have a special and happy Saturday!

Marianne Arkins said...

Ceri, my tomato plants are as tall as my daughter. I'm pinching them off now, because it's getting ridiculous. I'd love to grow pumpkins, but the need a LOT of space!! LOL...

Marianne Arkins said...

Tori, I absolutely agree!

Dru, thanks for stopping by :-)

Marianne Arkins said...

Brandy, we've gotten rid of our yellow jacket nests (which are always in the ground ... ugh), but waiting until it's cold (like first thing in the morning), peeling back the grass and pummeling them with wasp poison, then covering it up and putting something over it so they can't escape (a rock, large brick, etc). It's a little crazy, and you run the risk of getting stung, but they can't fly when it's cold, or if they're wet (so you could try flooding the nest first).

Good luck!

groovyoldlady said...

Sounds like Brandy abd I are twins: You Are an Optimist
You are thoughtful and responsible. It's rare that you find yourself in a bind.

You tend to push yourself to the limit. You don't stop unless you absolutely have to.

When you get tired, you tend to feel scattered and a bit disoriented. It's hard for you to get your bearings.

You are happiest when you are able to let loose and celebrate a little. Your natural state is to be happy.




I took GrammaJ grocery shopping today. I HATE shopping on Saturday, but it''s the only day that would work this time. Surprisingly, it wasn't insanely crowded at any of the stores.

Now I'm listening to chipping sparrow babies on my porch as they pester and pester and pester their hapless parents for MORE FOOD; JUST PUT IT RIGHT IN MY MOUTH BECAUSE I AM SO STINKIN' HELPLESS! "Helpless" as in they can fly to the porch by themselves and hop right up to the seeds on the ground, but oh-my, they just can't manage to pick them up and eat themsem themselves.

CHIRP! CHIRP! CHIRP!CHIRP!CHIRP!CHIRP!CHIRP!CHIRP!
CHIRP!CHIRP!CHIRP!CHIRP!CHIRP!CHIRP!

If my kids ever acted like that, I'd smack 'em!!!

No, I DON'T have a judgmental parenting attitude. Thankyouverymuch!

CHIRP!CHIRP!CHIRP!CHIRP!CHIRP!CHIRP!