Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dandelion Season

Many gardeners will agree that hand-weeding is not the terrible drudgery that it is often made out to be. Some people find in it a kind of soothing monotony. It leaves their minds free to develop the plot for their next novel or to perfect the brilliant repartee with which they should have encountered a relative's latest example of unreasonableness. ~Christopher Lloyd, The Well-Tempered Garden, 1973

What a nice day yesterday (if you don't count the wind). It was so wonderful to be able to get outside, walk, weed... look at all the dandelions that are sprouting in the grass.

Last year, my friend Sarita tried to make dandelion wine. Last I knew, it was fermenting in her house... I'm tempted. I feel like I should do SOMETHING with the bounty of flowers they're giving me. Anyone have any ideas?

Today is going to be even nicer (in the high 60s!), and SHOULD be less windy, so I might get out and weed. All the rain we had has made everything just take off -- good and bad. I actually really love weeding. I know, I'm sick, but I do. It's just like what that quote says up there ^^ ... It's a time to let my mind wander and think and contemplate. It's really rather "zen" for me.

I also need to sneak out this afternoon and get a few birthday presents for my DD. She turns ELEVEN on Saturday. How did that happen? We're going shopping together for a few things (she wants a pogo stick, for example), but I want to have a few little things for her to open on her birthday. So, I'm going to get some nail polish, earrings, etc. Girly stuff for my daughter who is getting more girlie by the day BUT is still not afraid to get her hands dirty.

Have a great day!

========================




You Are a Brain



It's not easy to stretch your brain, but who ever said that life was going to be easy?

You work hard to learn more and challenge yourself. You find thinking hard to be fun!

You enjoy long term projects and complicated problems. You are good at wrapping your mind around complex problems.

People tend to be jealous of your big brain, but they don't see how much work you put into being smart.



Hey, y'all ... are you jealous of my big brain? *G* ...

========================

4 comments:

Dru said...

I'm a brain too.

Are you going to do it? Make dandelion wine?

Enjoy your day and have a good time shopping for DD's birthday.

Have a good Tuesday.

Melissa McClone said...

My son turns 10 next week. I'm so in denial.

Hope you have fun shopping!

Brandy said...

Your Daughter wants a pogo stick? How fun! I hear you on the girly-girl thing. My Daughter will be 15 next Monday.
Dandelion wine? Hmmm, you'll have to tell us what it tastes like.
Have fun weeding and enjoy your day!

Tori Lennox said...

Our dandelions seem to skip the yellow flower stage and go directly to seed. *g*