Friday, December 10, 2010

Laughter and Fantasy

Mirth is God's medicine. Everybody ought to bathe in it. ~Henry Ward Beecher

A few of you saw this last night, but I have to post it again. Stolen blatantly from Judy who's doing a Christmas countdown of videos on her blog. This video made me laugh like a loon:



In other news ... I got my packages sent out yesterday. My first and last. Sadly, the one going to my ex-SIL had something fall out (we'd packed it IN the car in front of the post office, because I needed to buy some things) and we didn't notice until the stuff had already been mailed. It's going to make her gift a little on the very small side, but I'm not sending it. I'm DONE at the post office. My DH just got another stocking stuffer instead.

I'm just glad I'm done. Done shopping. Done shipping. I'll do some baking right before Christmas, and I'm going to make dog cookies this weekend (I'm experimenting with adding pureed spinach to one batch and tomato sauce to the other to make red and green cookies) for our agility friends. I still have to get my Christmas cards out. Yesterday, I took a picture of DD holding the cat and sitting beside Dakota in front of the tree to send out. The cat was NOT happy, and Dakota looked like she was being beaten, but -- it's a family portrait, and DD looked lovely (even if she was holding a squirming cat who does NOT like being held).

I love Christmas. I do. But I'm ready for it to be over.

=====================

I've been challenged to finish my fantasy. I'm quite close, actually, but have the BIG climatic part coming up and it's going to be a bugger to write, so I've been dreading it. I have a month or so ... going to give it a try. 10 - 15 thousand words in a month should be doable, even if they are difficult and draining.

Part of me is terrified to send this story out into the world. It's a story that really comes from my heart -- one I've carried around for years and years. I'm terrifically wrapped up in these characters and their story and I'm afraid I won't do them justice.

Baby steps. I have another author willing to read through the first draft and tell me if it sucks. One set of eyes instead of hundreds.

So I'll finish it and go from there.

=====================




You Spend Sensibly



You love to shop for holiday presents, but you are above all a savvy shopper.

You know you don't have to spend a fortune to get the perfect gift, and you'll shop around to find the right thing at the right price.

You prefer gifts that people actually want to receive to gifts that dazzle or impress.

You hope that your gifts stand the test of time. If someone keeps your gift for years, you consider it a success!



That's pretty close to correct.

===================

5 comments:

Joanna St. James said...

I am a spender, dont need to take the test to know.
I even take it one step further, I am happy when I shop, I cried at confessions of a shopaholic.
B4 u know it xmas will be here and over hang in there.
I have done most of my shopping online this year because they all live so far away.

Maria Zannini said...

That video was hilarious. I love the little short guy jumping up.

Ref: The cat was NOT happy, and Dakota looked like she was being beaten,

I nearly spit out my drink when I read this. LOL. That pictures sounds like a keeper.

Brandy said...

I can just imagine the picture you've taken based upon your description and it sounds funny. *G*
What is it about taking pictures with animals? *G*

I Spend Sensibly. Well, yeah. If I had the money I might spend more, but when you have to you learn to stretch!

I hope you're having a fantastic day!

Dru said...

Good luck with your story. I know you can finish.

You Spend Creatively

You give some of the most amazing gifts around, but you don't go broke buying them.

Almost every gift you give has a handcrafted, personalized touch. Your gifts are special.

You rather spend time on your gifts than money. You want every gift you give to be a treasure.

You would never get someone a generic gift. You like your gifts to show how well you know the recipients.

This is so true.

Ceri Hebert said...

Good luck on finishing the fantasy! I really would love to work on mine but mine is really in the beginning stages. I actually wrote a good deal of it years and years ago but I'm completely overhauling it. Still, it would be interesting to read what I wrote back then.

Now you're done with your shopping can you help with mine? :D