Thursday, August 06, 2009

You can Pick Your Friends, Pick Your Nose...

A bad neighbor is a misfortune, as much as a good one is a great blessing.~ Hesiod

... but you can't really pick your neighbors.

For two nights in a row, my neighbors at the end of the cul-de-sac have decided that MY bedtime is the best time to ride their ATVs in the road. We have a weedy dirt circle in the center of the cul-de-sac (that I have been tossing in flower seeds and we had some come up this year... but that doesn't seem to stop them from destroying it) and their driveway leads straight into it. So they ride up their driveway, across the loop (doing the "whap, whap" thing where they gun it so the wheels tear up the dirt even worse than if they just rode through), then around the road, into the woods, around the back of their house and back again.

Last night they rode from about 9 pm - 9:30 pm and I wanted to cry. I was so tired and just wanted sleep. Apparently they don't care in the least that some people may be on a completely different schedule than they are. I swear, one of these mornings I'm going to bring an air horn down there at 4 a.m. and set it off... except I actually LIKE their next-door neighbors.

It's times like that when I wish I wrote murder mysteries so I could kill them off in my next book... maybe run them over with their own ATV? And then their snippy little dog could gnaw on their bones...

**sigh**

In any case, because I was lying there away, and didn't have a book to read, and my computer was off, I grabbed a notepad and started writing a story that popped into my head. I must have winter on the brain, because my H/H get snowbound in a preschool. I may continue writing longhand at night. It was good -- and no distractions or feeling like I should be working on the website because I was on the computer.

We'll see.

And, yes, I'm still editing "Stiller Creek". I'm struggling to find places to put in my new antagonist smoothly. I don't want this person to stick out like a sore thumb... this person needs to blend, so know one thinks this person did it (and yes, I'm avoiding using the appropriate pronoun -- I wouldn't want to give you clues as to who the antagonist IS, lol).

=====================

We had our first real garden harvest yesterday: 20 cherry tomatoes (DD and I split them and gobbled them right down.. YUM), 3 big tomatoes, four squash (one that we'd obviously been missing... it is HUGE), two cucumbers and countless peas and green beans. She's distraught, though... something is causing her carrots to die. I don't know what and we've never had this problem before.

Summer's nearly over... it's already starting to get cool at night, and the stores are putting out their slippers.

======================




You Are Fairly Normal



You scored 70% normal on this quiz



Like most people you are normal in some ways...

But you aren't a completely normal person. You're a little weird too!



Why You Are Normal:



You'd rather have rats than cockroaches in your home

You find the Macarena to be the more embarrassing dance

You prefer a good meal to a good nap

You think glasses can make someone more attractive

You would rather be pale than tan



Why You Aren't Normal:



You would not eat meat from a cloned animal

You don't keep up with your horoscope

If you had to, you rather live without laughter and still have music

You would rather be a movie star than an astronaut

You know a little about many subjects



70% normal? Ha.. fooled them! *G*

=========================

10 comments:

Jen said...

Maybe you could characterize them horribly in a story and have something awful/hilarious happen to them? It might be good therapy.

Leah Braemel said...

*Hugs* & my sympathies.

My neighbors installed a hot tub 18 months ago and they are in it every single frickin' night partying. Even during thunderstorms, snow storms and ice storms. They climb in just as we're going to bed at 10:30 and often stay in it until the wee hours (I'm talking 3 or 4 a.m. there) They're loud as they have to shout over the sound of the jets. We've asked them to please be quiet but they seem to just make more noise then.

As I said, my sympathies about your neighbors. I totally understand.

MomJane said...

My neighbors are both gone. On the left, they both died, and on the right, they were evicted. Teach them to live next to me. If it doesn't kill you, the law will get you.

I am 80% normal. Don't know if I want to be that normal. I have to think about it a little.

I'm with you. Write a story, do dastardly things to the offensive neighbors, then get it printed and mail it to them. LOL

Diane Craver said...

Sorry about your annoying and rude neighbors but glad you were able to write. I like to write longhand sometimes - I think it helps the creativity aspect.

I'm only 50% normal - said I was a little weird and I'm not a completely normal person. That makes my day. LOL

Dru said...

I'm only 45% normal.

I do know exactly how you feel and I was so glad when my building complex instituted a noise ordinance with no banging or loud noises after 5pm during the week and it’s not allowed on the weekend.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your neighbors. Do you have noise laws there so the police can actually give them a ticket for making noise after 9 pm?

I live in an apt complex and it can get pretty darn loud.

Ha summer over, we have heat warnings all this week sigh. Im ready for cooler weather!

Tori Lennox said...

I'm 60% normal which I thought was kind of high.

Re the neighbors, I totally sympathize. I think instead of flowers, I'd have been tempted to "plant" something with spikes that would blow all their tires. *wicked grin*

Brandy said...

I am "Fairly Normal" at 60%. *G* Just enough where I won't stand out, I'll take it. *G*
Most counties here have a noise ordinance. I have neighbors across the street where they don't seem to mind blaring their car stereo at 5am some mornings. Because we ALL like to hear booom at 5am, right? *sigh*

I hope you're having a pleasing day!

Melissa McClone said...

I'm sorry. hugs. I'd find a way to get them into a book. And make it hell for them!

Shelley Munro said...

You have my sympathies. We actually ended up shifting to a new house because our neighbors drove us crazy. :(
I hope things improve for you!