Friday, July 29, 2011

School Pictures and Stings

Take time to smell the roses and eventually you'll inhale a bee. ~Author Unknown

First off... to Tori, Brandy and Dru: I will do my best to remember to take a first day of school picture when the time comes. I can't promise I'll remember as I suspect there will be nerves and panic and general chaos on that day, but I'll try. And just thinking about it gave me butterflies in my tummy. I may be more nervous than my daughter.

In other news, Dakota was stung by a yellow jacket yesterday. Yanno, there aren't many bugs I just simply hate for their mere existence, but yellow jackets fall into that category. They're mean, attack for no reason and their sting hurts worse than any other bee-type sting (I'm just glad we don't have scorpions here, like Maria Zannini does).

I was so sad -- she was just walking up onto our deck to come inside, I saw something flying around her (she didn't even snap at it like she does to the deerflies) and hurried her in. Just as she stepped in, she whipped her head around and looked at her leg and I saw the &^%$ thing right there stinging her. I scraped it off with my foot and stomped. And stomped. And ground it into the throw rug and stomped again. His corpse is still on my deck where I shook out the rug. I'd kill him again if I could.

She was a trooper, but it was clear it hurt. She stood, her leg raised, for several minutes. Refused a treat (this is UNHEARD of) and then curled up by my feet. I called the vet to ask if there was anything I could do -- there isn't, not really. Benedryl if she has a reaction (she didn't). Poor puppy.

Otherwise things are all about the same. The school's new student handbook comes out on Monday and includes some changes to the dress code, so we'll be able to go clothes shopping next week. I'm making an appointment to get DD's hair professionally cut and styled, and I think I might treat her to a manicure the day before school starts (shhhhhhh... don't tell her). I want her to feel pretty and confident (two things she frequently doesn't feel) when she goes.

Wishing you all a pleasant weekend. I've heard rumblings of a possible tropical storm / hurricane that might blow in down south? One of my author friends lives in Texas and mentioned it. If that's true, y'all be safe, y'hear? *G*

==================




You Are a Silver Cell Phone



You are quiet, thoughtful, and contemplative. You definitely don't like to show off.

You're the type of person who's more likely to surf the web on your phone than text or talk.

You probably also have a bit of a thing for gadgets. You're somewhat of a geek.'

You are addicted to being plugged in to the world around you. You need to have the internet at your fingertips!



That's mostly right.

==================

4 comments:

Dru said...

Poor Dakota.

I run from bees.

You Are a Green Cell Phone

You are down to earth, calm, and practical. You are content with your life.

You don't need the latest and greatest toys. In fact, you've sometimes wondered if we're too dependent on cell phones these days.

You are happiest when you're out in nature or at home doing simple tasks. Your inner peace really glows.

You are community minded and socially aware. You know that it's not just all about you.


This is accurate.

We are looking at thunderstorm which will propel us into another heatwave involving the three H's.

Have a good Friday.

Maria Zannini said...

Poor baby! If it's still swollen, maybe a little ice pack will help.

Ref: I'd kill him again if I could.
Gawd, I know that feeling!

***
As much as I hate scorpions and live in mortal fear when I'm barefoot--at least I don't have bears.

Scorpions I can stomp. Bears--not so much. LOL.

Brandy said...

Poor Dakota! Yellow-Jacekts and Hornets are awful. I don't blame you for killing it and would have done it, too. And again. *g*
Aww, DD is going to feel great her first day of school! You're a sweet Mom.

You are powerful, assertive, and a real go getter. You never have any problem getting what you want.
You value success, and part of that success means having the latest and greatest things.
You tend to be the first in line for the newest cell phone. You like to have as many features as possible.
You know that things don't make people happy... but they sure make life more fun!


Hahahaha! Sorry, that one made me laugh till I couldn't breathe! No way, no how is that me.

Hope you have a terrific day!

Tori Lennox said...

Poor Dakota! :(