Sunday, September 12, 2010

Cooking Commences

"You will never get out of pot or pan anything fundamentally better than what went into it. Cooking is not alchemy; there is no magic in the pot." - Martha McCulloch-Williams, Dishes & Beverages Of The Old South

We have a family gathering today -- and we have to leave shortly for the first part (a baptism at 8 a.m.!! YIKES!) so this will be quick.

I saw a monarch yesterday. First one I've seen in more than a month. I waved.

I did a lot of cooking this weekend. I was VERY frustrated while trying to find recipes. When I googled "cooking tomato sauce from scratch" the first recipe I found started with a can of crushed tomatoes. Really? :::shakes head:::

I made lazy man's tomato sauce yesterday from the last tomatoes from our garden. I cored them and then cut them up and pureed them, seeds, skins and all! Then simmered with plenty of garlic and fresh herbs (marjoram, thyme and oregano) from the garden for several hours. As long as you don't mind seeds in your sauce (and I don't), it worked out fine -- with none of the blanching and peeling involved.

I made corn chowder from corn on the cob we bought, too. I've never grated corn before, but the recipe called for half the corn to be grated to make a juicy, pulpy addition to the soup (you'll find most not-from-scratch recipes call for cans of creamed corn, which is rather the same thing). It was fabulous soup -- best I've had. NOTHING beats fresh sweet corn. We bought from a local grower so it was really, really fresh.

And, yes, I completely forgot to take pix to post all this on the H&H blog. I'm bad.

======================




You Are Passionate



You feel very intensely, and you are definitely driven by your emotions.

When confronted with something new, you tend to love it or hate it right away. There is no in between for you!



You always know how you feel, and you have no problem letting everyone else know too.

You are honest - probably to a fault. It's impossible for you to hold back.



That's pretty dang close to correct!!

=======================

2 comments:

Dru said...

That's an early start for any day. Hope you have a good day.

You Are Sweet

You are as kind as can be, and you're always doing favors for your friends.

You try to remember how important generosity is, even when you're feeling a bit grumpy.

Like everyone else, you have obstacles to overcome in your life. You just try to keep a smiling.

When you get angry, you have a rotten temper. Your anger stings, but luckily you don't get angry often.


This is accurate.

Tori Lennox said...

I'm hungry now. :)